Question

Accidentally Archived Enrollments

• 14 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Is anyone else finding that users get very confused when returning to a course that is required for a certification? 

We are finding that the following behavior is occurring rather frequently:

• User receives a notification that a certification is expiring
  • User clicks the link provided in the notification and is brought to the certification screen
  • User clicks the Renew option and selects a course
  • User starts the course, but does not have the time to complete the course in one sitting, so they close the course
  • To return to the course, the user is clicking the link from their certification notification - which takes them to the Certification screen.
  • User restarts the renewal process, which archives the course they were halfway through and starts them over. 

These are compliance courses, which makes the user very unhappy. 

I realize that it is user error, but shouldn’t there be something in the system that prevents this type of issue? 

I have already upvoted the request to provide the ability to restore an archived enrollment (hopefully with the progress status intact). 

But I would like to know if anyone else is encountering this, and what you may have done to change the behavior.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Seems like odd behaviour...I would suggest you contact support about this...I havent tried this myself as we opted not to allow users to renew this way as it was a little too complicated. Feels like there should be a switch or option to disallow this but then again archiving is still pretty much in the dev stage in my opinion.

Userlevel 3

We have had a similar problem. What I did was create Groups based on the status of the compliance course, and these Groups control which Menu the user is assigned to:

• If the course is in a Completed status, the user’s landing page features a link to the Certification page in a prominent location.
  • If the course is in Enrolled or In Progress status, the user’s landing page instead directs them to where they can find the training. 

Our certification notification doesn’t link them to the certification page, it’s a link to the login page.

Lastly, we used the Localization Tool to add some bright, obnoxious warnings to the certification renewal page where they select the compliance course.

It isn’t a perfect solution, but it does reduce the frequency of these issues quite a bit. We still have the occasional person repeatedly reset the same course over and over again, leaving a bunch of archived Enrolled and In Progress courses, so the ability to “unarchive” or remove archived records would help us too.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@thaldane I’d love to see what your bright, obnoxious warnings look like. We’ve talked about adding bright obnoxious text to some of our notifications as well.