Adding a personalized welcome message on landing page

• 15 September 2022
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 3

Has anyone added a welcome [first name] type message to their landing page.  I tried using the header message in the branding section, but you can’t use short codes.  I tried the myprofile widget but i can’t modify the widget enough and it becomes to large on the page.

Any examples out there?

Thanks

Lynda Gutman

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I’ve gotten this using forms as a workaround. I use a system that can be iframed into an iframe widget, allowing the use of the oauth connector in the iframe widget which lets the logged in user exchange properly for a token which can then use the api to look up anything about that user and then insert the data. It is a fun method that works well for advanced things, don’t know that I would do it just for a ‘HI’ on the home page, but if there were other uses like customizing content shown or something, maybe. I am working on a writup of this process as part of the API series I am working on and should be out soon with steps on how to do.

Adding short codes of logged in user info to use in WYSIWYG editors around the system would be nice though.

Userlevel 3

@bfarkas, thanks for the quick reply and idea.  We’re looking to start simple right now ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@bfarkas, thanks for the quick reply and idea.  We’re looking to start simple right now ;-)

Understood, the simple answer is, no :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

You might want to vote for this idea:

Userlevel 3

@Bfarkas Just as a follow up, i ended up using the myprofile widget and then using CSS to hide everything around it.  It does use full name and i would have preferred frist name, but at least i’m 95% of the way there.  I upvoted for the short codes post.  Thanks again for your reply.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ha, that’s an interesting approach. Are you just eliminating it entirely on the mobile app?

Userlevel 3

nope.  We use SSO, so it’s on both desktop and mobile and ends up looking like this…

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Right, but the mobile app, not mobile website, ignores the custom CSS so would look like the original widget was why I was asking. 

Userlevel 3

we don’t use the mobile app but good to know! :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Ah, lucky duck! Heavy css modify away then :)

nope.  We use SSO, so it’s on both desktop and mobile and ends up looking like this…

Hi there! Would you be able to please explain how you accomplished this? Thank you! 

Userlevel 3

@cbritch  Hi.  we hired someone with much more CSS experience than I to modify the My Profile widget to hide everything but the name, and then added the text around the name field.