Best Answer

Anyway to update 1 widget on one page and have changes go live on other pages using the same widget?

Userlevel 3

Hey everyone. I’ll explain our use case here. We have an HTML/WYSIWYG widget that I embed banners images and link them to a specific course or catalog. This widget is used on multiple pages so when the link changes, I’m needing to go into multiple pages to update the links.

Currently I have the images sourced from a hosting site (Microsoft Azure) and they’re named “Docebo_Banner_1” and “Docebo_Banner_2” so when I swap out the image on the hosting site, the images are just replaced in the widget. We have a rule set for when Edge closes, it clears the cached images so they’re refreshed whenever Edge is opened again. I still have to go into each widget on each page to update the link.

Is there any way to embed or iframe that widget into the other pages so I could update the link once and it goes live to all the other pages where it’s embedded? Like a global widget that’s live on all pages or something.

We use these banners at the top of the page to get attention on specific courses or catalogs quickly. Like flyer sales or a specific set of courses like Lawn & Garden. Sometimes the banners are just reminders of our Mission Statement, Values, and Principles. Example of my banners below!

icon

Best answer by ChrisPrice 22 March 2022, 17:53

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ChrisPrice Having built over 100 pages, I’ve never found a way to change the URLs all at once, even for the same image using widgets. I’ve not tried an iFrame.

Userlevel 3

@ChrisPriceHaving built over 100 pages, I’ve never found a way to change the URLs all at once, even for the same image using widgets. I’ve not tried an iFrame.

I see you can’t iFrame internal pages so that idea won’t work. These banners rotate multiple times a month so I was hoping for a solution. We’re also adding 8 new pages soon that would feature this widget. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@ChrisPrice If you are already sourcing the banner images remotely, what if you just built the whole HTML page with the course links remotely? Then you’d have just one place to update, and should be able to use an iFrame.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Not as far as I know (and it kind of makes sense that int doesn't) ...I just copy the code but found that keeping a small page inventory list for those pages that require regular maintenance is helpful.

Userlevel 3

Not as far as I know (and it kind of makes sense that int doesn't) ...I just copy the code but found that keeping a small page inventory list for those pages that require regular maintenance is helpful.

Yeah, it would make sense to have that option for a global widget or not to have it. I replace the code on one page and copy and paste it on the other pages. It does go decently quick but it’s a little tedious. 

Userlevel 3

@ChrisPriceIf you are already sourcing the banner images remotely, what if you just built the whole HTML page with the course links remotely? Then you’d have just one place to update, and should be able to use an iFrame.

I could do that. It would take some learning to accomplish which I don’t exactly have the time quite yet. I’ll keep this in mind though, thanks for the idea!

Userlevel 3

I’m going to explore a custom URL link that I can change the destination/forwarding address but keep the link. Something like bit.ly or an internal link from our IT department. Need to test how this will effect the users. Want to make sure if they click this link they won’t be prompted to log in again. We are on SSO, so hopefully having the site open on one tab, it won’t make them log in again. 

I’ll update this when I know more!

UPDATE 1: Sounds like our IT team is pretty confident we can get a custom link and have me edit that through Microsoft Azure. They’ve done it before and will work on it this week. The URL will most likely be named to keep in line with the naming I do for the images already. This will save quite a bit of time for updating those links. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I have done something similar with Azure, but for hosting Marketing material for our users.  We had a few documents linked via an azure storage blob on multiple pages, and it was nice because we only had to update documents in the blob and not have to touch our pages.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m going to explore a custom URL link that I can change the destination/forwarding address but keep the link. Something like bit.ly or an internal link from our IT department. Need to test how this will effect the users. Want to make sure if they click this link they won’t be prompted to log in again. We are on SSO, so hopefully having the site open on one tab, it won’t make them log in again. 

I’ll update this when I know more!

UPDATE 1: Sounds like our IT team is pretty confident we can get a custom link and have me edit that through Microsoft Azure. They’ve done it before and will work on it this week. The URL will most likely be named to keep in line with the naming I do for the images already. This will save quite a bit of time for updating those links. 

I do this way and used a sharepoint list to make a lightwieght CMS of sorts so that users could update the content themselves and schedule it. I had a power automate flow run every night pulling the latest data into azure and then the widget on Docebo itself pulled the right data from that azure data feed based on the URL of the page so that the content could be different slightly page by page too. Works well. I do this same technique inside a few course packages to avoid having to republish for some basic content updates.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I’m not sure whether I have the wrong end of the stick here or not, but have you considered using Comslider as an external source?

We use it for our scrolling banner and a few other bits across multiple landing pages.  The iFrame code remains the same across all the pages, and when we make a change in Comslider it updates every instance where that widget sits all at once.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but happy to discuss further if this makes no sense to you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I’m not sure whether I have the wrong end of the stick here or not, but have you considered using Comslider as an external source?

We use it for our scrolling banner and a few other bits across multiple landing pages.  The iFrame code remains the same across all the pages, and when we make a change in Comslider it updates every instance where that widget sits all at once.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but happy to discuss further if this makes no sense to you?

Seems like what they are going to do just control the ownership of where the docs live instead of using the third party site to do so. 

Userlevel 3

Seems like what they are going to do just control the ownership of where the docs live instead of using the third party site to do so. 

Yep, exactly! This is what I was aiming to do but internally. I haven’t heard of Comslider before but I’ll check it out anyway.