Question

API: Syncing Manager to Direct Reports

• 11 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello, community!

Happy Friday - I hope none of you reply today and enjoy your weekends. :)

TL;DR: I need to know what fields I should map the manager hierarchy data to in Docebo so that managers are automatically assigned to their direct reports.

--

We have an API written by a 3rd party vendor that syncs our data from Workday to Docebo. When I came to my company, all of our managers were (presumably) receiving their direct reports in their Team Members area of their profile as a result. In fact, some still are. However, many are not. I’ve tried opening a chat on this subject but it spun into a loop.

I know that it works under certain circumstances because I have users who do have their direct reports (and even with recent hires). However, if I add direct reports to someone who doesn’t have it, the direct reports are cleared the next morning at the daily import, which communicates to me that the sync is processing that field but it’s either empty in my HRIS or it’s getting the wrong field assigned to it. This feature does not appear to be managed by User Additional Fields, so where should the data be imported to via API?

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hey @willingworth it should just be one field called, Direct Manager which is the manager username. The manager’s username must be part of each USER record. When you reach the top (CEO for example) that field can be left blank.

As for for you fields being cleared out, if your file has no data in the “manager username” field, it will assume that they have no manager. You should check your source data to make sure your user profiles have all the data in the correct spots and that the input file is set-up correctly.

Note that if running this with connectors, you should try and make sure that your managers come first in your list to avoid any gaps when a new manager is created (user profile). If the new manager comes after the user to whom you want to attach them to, you may get errors (this happens when using the CSV import but I can't recall if our dev team set this rules in place for those of our clients who use connectors).

Hope this helps.