Archive Enrollments - can someone provide a use case?

• 18 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello Docebo friends! 

Is anyone using “Archive and Unenroll” rather than “Archive and Re-enroll”? I like the re-enroll function, but I am trying to determine when I might need to archive and unenroll

I checked KBAs and guides to see if there was clarification when it might be appropriate to archive/unenroll, but this was all I found.

“In the pop-up that opens, set whether you want to archive the active enrollment and re-enroll the user in the same course or unenroll the user after archiving the enrollment. If you select the second option, remember that learners will no longer be able to access the course once their enrollment is archived, but you can possibly re-enroll them manually, or they can self-enroll if the course enrollment policy allows them to do so.

I might just be completely blanking on this but please let me know if you understand when/why to use Archive and Unenroll. 

Thanks!

Ryan

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

These options depend on how you manage the course...If for instance, you are archiving a course that need to be completed 1/ calendar year, you can easily archive all records at the end of the calendar year and re-enroll them all since it is a required course. Resetting the tracking data in this case would be necessary in order for them to be able to retake the course for the start.

Then you have other scenarios like the one we use for ILT courses...today, users can only attend a single session for any course. If you are running quarterly sessions, you would need to archive those records before the users could re-enrol. That said, for ILT, I would not necessarily re-enrol them since it would be left to the user to decide whether they woudl want to attend again and perhaps choose the same ILT course or another.

These are just 2 examples of how we have used archiving but there are more examples…

Another that comes to mind is to keep track of failed course attempts. Since you can archive a course in any state, you can actually archive this that remain in progress as a result of failing a course thereby giving them another go at the course, In this case I would recommend archive and re-enrol + resetting the tracking data…

So you really need to think about how the course is managed and the impact to users based on the action you plan to take, etc.

If you have a specific use case, it might be easier to address your questions.

Userlevel 1

@lrnlab Thank you for the information! I understand and do see value in the “Archive and Re-Enroll” but I am still a bit unclear on “Archive and Unenroll.”

(Please let me know if I am understanding/summarizing correctly)

• The Archive and Reenroll works for ILT Courses but not for ILT sessions. In the ILT scenario you mention, if you chose to Archive and Re-Enroll the Learner for the ILT Course, the Learner would be re-enrolled at the Course level and receive an enrollment email (if enabled), which would hopefully prompt the Learner at some point to log in and register/enroll for one of the upcoming refresher sessions. But if you select Archive and Unenroll, the Learner would need to search and find the ILT course, re-enroll in the course, and then enroll in the session they want to attend. So, if I am understanding correctly, both archive/re-enroll and archive/unenroll functionalities seem similar here except archive/unenroll forces a few extra steps for the Learner. 
  • I considered the 2nd scenario you mention regarding in progress/incomplete enrollments, but I am still having a hard time understanding why you would want to essentially “block” a Learner from accessing the content (summarizing/paraphrasing what is in the documentation) if the Learner is in progress, even if they failed, through the Archive and Unenroll tool. If you needed to limit a Learner’s access to content after a failed attempt, could that not be configured in the course settings? (i.e., the course would lock if the user fails)

I don’t have any specific use cases for the Archive and Unenroll tool currently, but because it is an available option when archiving, I wanted to post here to see if anyone else does have a use case for it that I am just missing!

Thanks again for the reply!

Ryan 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@mrrippy82 Just today I am using it extensively. :-)

A couple of use cases where this is a tool in the process, not just the reason to use

• Complete removal of expired content from learners dashboards
  • Complete remove of content related to expired Learning Plans/Catalogs
  • Complete unlinking of expired courses from training materials stored in the Central Repository

I archive content in stages, over the course of a couple of years. Initially, it’s just getting the content off dashboards and out of learning plans (bullet #2), but eventually, I want to further reduce the content’s presence in the LMS (bullet #1, bullet #3). We have other tools/processes for storing retired course content, so the need for me to keep a lot of data decreases over time.

Now that I have the Archive/Unenroll tool, I am going through previously retired courses/LPs/catalogs, and doing that deeper level of retiring. I am removing training materials from the course shells and archiving the enrollments (bullet #1).  Many of these LPs have several “generations” to them (where I have added/removed courses, or just simply redesigned the whole LP), and so I want to avoid inadvertent assignments to anything other than the most current LP.

For critical LPs, I have a separate “marker” course that I ADD INTO the LP that represents the completion of the LP. So where I may have had 20 courses in the LP while it was active, when I archive it, it contains one course (no content, just a placeholder). Any one who completed the LP while it was active gets enrolled into this “marker” course. In the end the retired LP will always contain a list of learners who completed it.

The the case of a single course, I am fine with the archived enrollments as those do appear on the learner record.

In the case of bullet #3, my Central Repository will show me which training materials are not assigned to courses, so I can move them out of the category structure. It will also keep me from inadvertently updating training materials on a retired course.

Hope that helps, and I’m happy to answer any further questions...just DM me 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Another use case for archive an unenroll is with required training by role. 
When using groups and enrollment rules to deploy role-based training, the users can join/leave groups when conditions are met and no longer met respectively. However, there is no auto-unenroll. 
We use archive and unenroll when users no longer are required to complete the training and want it off of their to do list. By archiving we preserve the current status for accurate records. 

Userlevel 1

A belated thanks to @KMallette for the insight and how you use the tool. And thank you @dianex.gomez for the additional use case. Very helpful information and scenarios I had not considered!