Automatic group assignment based on certification status

Userlevel 5
Badge

I found ways to automate based on course completion, but we have a situation where completing a course grants a certification that expires. As long as the certification is active we want learners to be in a group that has specific catalog access. when the certification expires, their access should also expire, but they would still have course completion. 

Is there a way to create an automatic group enrollment rule based on a certification being active?

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Since groups are based on user attributes or course statuses, you might try using the latter to build your group based on the course(s) your users completed to attain their certification.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I was originally thinking that since the expiration seems to be the core problem here, can you make an additional field to store the expiration date and do bulk updates periodically? Set the group based on the date in the field, but then I remembered how the date conditions for rules are not really robust so don’t know that you could go that way.

Here’s a question, if they completed the course for the cert, and then the cert expires, do they retake the course for the cert again or is it a new course?

Userlevel 5
Badge

They would end up retaking the course. So maybe I need to combine both of these sugestions and use course completion to create a group and then group membership to be time based. 

HMMMMM

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Davefox- pause - groups dont have a time-based windowed criteria. That will cause an issue for your proposition above.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Just found that. And it looks like courses have validitidy, but not an auto-unenrollment if incomplete at expiration. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Bfarkas - read through @Davefox - this maybe an interesting usecase for Farktools.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@Bfarkas- read through @Davefox - this maybe an interesting usecase for Farktools.

Oh silly me - you are already part of the thread. 🤣

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmm, added to the ponder board, thanks for the shoutout @dklinger