Best Answer

Automatically playing an Introduction Video

• 6 March 2023
  • 7 replies

I created a short introductory guide for our users on how to navigate our academy. My higher-ups want this video to play automatically when someone logs in for the first time. I’m not sure how to do this. I can create a course out the video and have new users automatically enrolled. I can create a “Start Here First” label but I don’t know how to “force” users to watch the video first. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 6 March 2023, 22:38

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

okay here goes:

1. Create a course with your welcome video and set the course properties to automatically play training materials
  2. Create a page with a “Get Started Here” button or something, and have that link to your course with your welcome video
  3. Create a group with automatic enrollment that has the condition to include anyone in the group who has NOT completed the course with your welcome video.
  4. Create a special menu for your folks who enroll for the first time and assign the page (with the button that links to the course) as the homepage for this menu.

What will happen is everyone who gets a profile created will be automatically assigned to this group, which in turn will make that “Get started here” page the first thing they see when they log in for the first time.  Once the users complete that course with the video, they will no longer be enrolled in that group and will see the regular homepages after that. 

Granted this is a pretty elaborate set up.  We do something similar with our new hires to easily point them to their new hire course work.

If only we could control some screen pop-ups on pages for those who log in for the first time! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@edgreeves You might want to consider a slightly different approach. Rather than requiring a course - which they won’t remember anyway - you might consider a more informal approach. Like adding the video into a banner, or into a carousal. Break it up into 5 - 20 second clips

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If you use a streaming service like YouTube, and use the video widget, it should have a play icon over the video. You might be able to make it play automatically via YouTube settings 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Do keep in mind that generally autoplaying a video on a standard webpage/homepage scenario is generally frowned upon from a user experience stand point, and several of the major browsers do things to make this better automatically (like muting them) becasue of it. You generally want to let your user be in charge of when multimedia starts and stops, as otherwise they will probably miss a bunch at beginning while they scramble figuring out what it is, what to do, what their sound settings are, etc.

If you make it like a hero banner that really encourages them to watch at the top third of your home page like @KMallette is suggesting, generally works, and you can swap it for advanced tips and reminders after they have onboarded for a while.

I’d also really think through the ‘first time log in only’. Many people will be trying to go do a task that login, and your video may not be it :), its a tough line of leaving it there enough for reference and to allow users to see it, and when to remove, again might be worth making a page of shorter how-to’s about your platform and then highlight specific ones to user types, so you have the beginner for their first month or so, and then rotate through tips and advance things, but if they link back to the central area, then they learn where to go when needed too.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I was about to post a similar question .

Thank you all for your feedback @Annarose.Peterson  @lrnlab @Bfarkas 

I have added an introductory  video in the user´s Landing page, a really  BIG WIDGET !! so it is the first thing they see , but you know..they skip it! 😖

as @KMallette said, ignore it or not remember! 

@edgreeves  What did you end up doing to find a solution to that need ? Can you share it, please? 

HI Isram. We never implemented it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

This thread is making me think of a process I always wanted to experiement with but never did. It leverages notifications combined with reports to basically send emails based on timelines after first logins, or after periods of time of not logging in, etc. To do ‘positive messaging’ emails to entice folks to come back and do things. Could see using this with video and media in the emails as ‘get to know’ the platform as well.