Best practice for removing/expiring a course in a Learning Plan

• 4 January 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Hi all,

I have some LP’s where courses need swapped out or expired and new courses brought in.  I have read a number of posts on this, but have yet to find a suggested best practice.  I have read a few different impacts to transcripts and completion status, and am trying to weigh out what is the least problematic when it comes to retaining data.

1. If you remove a course from a LP, this also removes any completions that were made as part of LP enrollment
  2. If you add a new course that only NEW enrollments would need to complete, the users currently at 100% fall to ‘in progress’ and a less than 100% as they have not completed the new course

Neither of the above are desirable outcomes of a LP modification 

If a course is expired but left in the LP, does that count towards the completion percentage?

If I set the expired legacy course as an equivalent to the new course(s), would the user be successfully enrolled in the expired legacy course and subsequently marked complete (when new course is complete) as part of a LP enrollment for a 100%/Complete status to be obtained?

Would love to hear feedback and suggested best practices on how to retain as much data as possible and not impact current users with a 100% complete status.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Depending on the circumstances, I would consider these options.

If you really are just updating the content in one course, I would version the training material in the course instead of replacing the course in the learning plan.

If you can’t version the training material object because the change is too drastic, then I would import a new training material, push it to the existing course, and hide the old training object. Marking both as end object markers to complete the course.

If its a totally different content thing, then I would build a new learning plan.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@lhubbard Ahh, yes that could be a solve for one of my use cases where its a 1:1 course swap.  For the other use case where the existing course is being split to 2 separate courses, I don’t think this would solve for that scenario.  Thank you though!  Sometimes we look for complexity with solutions when the easiest solve is right in front of us 😁

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Still looking for recommended best practices! Would love to hear your feedback!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Depending on the circumstances, I would consider these options.

If you really are just updating the content in one course, I would version the training material in the course instead of replacing the course in the learning plan.

If you can’t version the training material object because the change is too drastic, then I would import a new training material, push it to the existing course, and hide the old training object. Marking both as end object markers to complete the course.

If its a totally different content thing, then I would build a new learning plan.

@Jtischler Following this as we are looking for best practices for LP as well - @lhubbard Do you know if users get notified when the new training material is marked as end object and require users to watch/click the new training material in order to “complete” the course?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@teresa.mycity.org I do not know if they are supposed to get a notification.I don’t think they do by default, since I have never seen one come across in my admin email copy of everything. Maybe there is a notification you can configure and I haven’t done that?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@teresa.mycity.org  My solve for this ended up being to set a one way equivalency with the legacy course as source and the new course as target, and then removing the legacy course from the LP.  When the new course is added to the LP, everyone who has a completion in the legacy course will be marked complete for the new addition and retain their 100%/Complete status for the LP.

I did see something in notifications around a ‘Catch up course is available’ event, but have not been able to find anything pertaining to the trigger and how its used except for a very vague reference to LP’s from 2022.  I do not see that event in my current PROD environment and have not looked in sandbox so not sure if that event may be new or deprecated.