Best Answer

Can you access another domain with the same username?

• 10 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Hi, I’m relatively new to Docebo and was hoping someone might have dealt with this issue before. Is it possible to be a user (not power user or superadmin) and be able to access 2 different Docebo domains? I thought maybe adding a user to two different branches would solve the issue but it doesn’t look like that is an option anymore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 10 August 2022, 22:04

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @tnakagawa . I dont think you can add the same username twice to the platform. But there is something about leveraging the same username across the different domains that were setup via extended enterprise.

There is a setting that essentially says that you can limit the person to login into the branch/domain they are associated with.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @tnakagawa 

I'm not sure there would be any advantage to users being able to access more than one extended enterprise domain. They would get served the same menu and the same learning content whichever domain they logged-in to. The only potential difference to their experience would be domain-specific custom CSS.

In any case, for anyone joining Docebo within the last couple of years, users cannot be in more than one branch. This effectively limits them to the domain assigned to their branch (plus the root domain). I’m not sure what difference the setting mentioned by @dklinger makes in this scenario…

Al

Thank you for your responses, @dklinger and @Alan. I appreciate it.

@dklinger we haven’t activated that feature ‘Enable Extended Enterprise Login Restriction’. By not using this feature, if a user (e.g. superadmin) has access to multiple domains then a pop-up window opens when they login and they have the ability to choose which domain they want to go to.

@Alan, the reason for wanting some users to have the ability to have access to more than one domain is because we have an external site (for customers) and internal site (for employees) and some employees need to access the customer site to view the different content that is on there and to be able to see what the customers see should they need to help with any support on accessing specific content. 

Our current work around is to give these employees a power user role where they can impersonate the assigned users and a secondary username/email in Docebo which has access to the external site. So then they can use the ‘login as this user’ feature and then log into the other domain with this secondary username. It’s not ideal and so I was hoping that someone else might have had a similar issue and a different solution!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thank you for your responses, @dklinger and @Alan. I appreciate it.

@dklinger we haven’t activated that feature ‘Enable Extended Enterprise Login Restriction’. By not using this feature, if a user (e.g. superadmin) has access to multiple domains then a pop-up window opens when they login and they have the ability to choose which domain they want to go to.

@Alan, the reason for wanting some users to have the ability to have access to more than one domain is because we have an external site (for customers) and internal site (for employees) and some employees need to access the customer site to view the different content that is on there and to be able to see what the customers see should they need to help with any support on accessing specific content. 

Our current work around is to give these employees a power user role where they can impersonate the assigned users and a secondary username/email in Docebo which has access to the external site. So then they can use the ‘login as this user’ feature and then log into the other domain with this secondary username. It’s not ideal and so I was hoping that someone else might have had a similar issue and a different solution!

For the first point, I would be cautious about turning this on as we were told a while back that this would limit access for you admins so not the most desirable feature.

As for your real question...we have a similar situation and what we do is provide access to pages set up for other domains and then you do the same on your catalogues/courses, etc. This gives the use the access to the courses in your other site while keeping them in our domain. If your users are not all in one clean branch for example, you could create a group to manage that and add it the areas you need to give visibility to.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @tnakagawa 

and some employees need to access the customer site to view the different content that is on there 

The problem is that, even if they could access both domains, they would still see exactly the same pages and content in both. The domain does not determine what pages the user sees, or what their default starting page is.  This is all determined by the menu they get, which in turn is determined by the groups and branches etc.

We have exactly the same scenario and our approach has been similar to how @lrnlab describes.  We use a system of automatic groups and additional fields to determine the menu each user is given. Each menu has a different set of pages and a different homepage that are designed to appear like wholly separate portals/domains. 

We also allow users to choose what their default home page is with a user additional field called “Preferred homepage”. It works like this:

Menu 1:  Homepage A   --  assigned to users with their Preferred Homepage field set to A

Menu 2:  Homepage B   --  assigned to users with their Preferred Homepage field set to B

You could do something similar to give your internal colleagues a choice of quasi / simulated domains.

Hope this helps!

Alan

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Alan love that “choose your own homepage” solution, definitely adding to the toolbox, thanks for sharing! I’d encourage you to write it up as it’s own how to do it doesn’t stay buried here, I bet some others would find it useful. 

Thank you for these suggestions @lrnlab and @Alan. What you have both described makes sense and we have decided to use menus and branches. Also, @Alan I agree with @Bfarkas, providing the user with the ability to choose their own homepage is genius and I do think you should post it in the ‘Show & Tell’ section or something. Really appreciate everyone’s help on this! Thank you!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Bfarkas​​@tnakagawa 
Thanks!  In that case I’ll try to carve out some time to do a guide on this. Might have to be a weekend job!