Certifications and Retraining: Re-certification required every December

Userlevel 2

Hey folks! I have looked through the KB and the community and I cannot find a straight answer for this.

Scenario: We need every employee to retake their compliance certification every December - even new employees. So, if an employee starts in September, they need to take the certification in September and then again in December.

With the Cert + Retraining app, it seems that we can only set this up to require the employee to re-certify every x days, not necessarily every December.

Is there something I’m missing here? Is there a workaround for this that isn’t cumbersome? Thanks for your thoughts!

11 replies

Userlevel 4

The workaround we have doing is duplicating the course, naming it 2022 XYZ training, then 2023 XYZ training. It makes the course catalog annoyingly dense but allows us more control than the recert app option. Especially because we often have to prove training from a few years ago was completed at that time for various reasons. 

If you find a better way, please post it, I would LOVE to know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @katie that’s correct...there is no way to lock it in with a definite date. You can use the CSV option to reset everyone’s end date though. That was our initial plan but we never implemented and are not using this app at the moment. 

@megan.fralix - is this still the process you guys are using?  That is similar to what we set up during our migration to Docebo last October, but then found we had to duplicate each actual training material and instead of just the course so they are forced to go through the material again. Do you archive previous course enrollments to get around that?  Thank you! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

The workaround we have doing is duplicating the course, naming it 2022 XYZ training, then 2023 XYZ training. It makes the course catalog annoyingly dense but allows us more control than the recert app option. Especially because we often have to prove training from a few years ago was completed at that time for various reasons. 

If you find a better way, please post it, I would LOVE to know. 

@megan.fralix - good afternoon - this may sound painful, but it works. Docebo is close to turning on auto-archiving for courses. Once that is up? It game changes everything. Watch for it.

Current state - you can manually archive records, but that unfortunately fails the need with roaming records unless you adopt a windowed/annualized approach (everyone is reset at X day).

Userlevel 4

@melissa.herndon We are still duplicating courses and renaming them for the time period. This is because if we have to respond to an issue that happened 2 years ago, we have to show they completed the training in 2021. If we reset the end dates we would lose the historical data and have incomplete trainings records for compliance which is unfortunate. We WISH we could retain the old completion date AND reset the course to collect a new completion date without recreating the course.  

Userlevel 4

@dklinger If only everyone completed their compliance training in the required time frame… We’re waiting ever so patiently for auto-archiving! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@megan.fralix - will be doing a talk on this topic soon enough with eSkillz.

@megan.fralix When you duplicate the course for each year, you use the same exact training material as the prior year? Doesn’t this let them bypass the materials since it tracks at the training material level? 

Also, I’m not clear on why you would need to reset the course end date when you archive enrollments? I don’t see where there is required, but maybe I am not understanding your process completely. Thank you!

Userlevel 4

@melissa.herndon We upload the same SCORM file as a new material. We don’t copy the materials because of the issue you mentioned, and we do not use the central repository because you can’t allow separate tracking through that feature either.

We are NOT archiving courses at this time because we don’t want to lose historical data. At the moment we’re marking the old course as under maintenance, so the data still shows on the transcript, but the user can’t access old (possibly outdated) information once a new course is available.

Oh okay yes thank you for clarifying the training material piece.

The archival I am referring to is just for their enrollment, not the course. It’s fairly new, released last week maybe? We were able to explore it in beta and I’m thinking it’s going to work really well for us. I’m still going to have duplicate the course due to the year updates in the course title. At the same time I’ll re-enroll the same users but keep the same training materials. Then I plan to archive those re-enrollments which also resets the tracking of the course material, whew!  

Forgot to tag you in my last reply @megan.fralix