Changing the word "Course" and "Learning Plan" (anyone doing it?)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi fellow Docebo customers!

Greetings from Nashville, Tennessee. 

New customer here, and we are migrating our content (lift and shift, and also building/optimizing courses in Articulate Rise) into the system, before going live with our customers in a few months.

One question that has come up with my company’s leadership team is the “naming conventions” on the platform. 

Have you (or do you know examples of) Docebo customers that have gone into the Localization Tool and renamed the foundational language of the system, such as Course/LP/Catalog/etc?   Any anecdotes to share good/bad?

• Use of the word “Course” and “Learning Plan” is being challenged, as these words would be new to our customers.
  • CURRENTLY, our customers are getting “Modules” (a standalone PDF emailed by our coaches).   And in addition to the “module PDF”, our clients are also receiving emails with links to our video content.
  • With Articulate Rise, we are combining the written content from the “module PDF” with the video content (embedding video within the courses)
  • From early user research, users are liking the new format, and there has been no pushback or questioning of the system terminology “Course/etc”
  • In the coming weeks, I will have a larger “beta test” with more users--and this will be another opportunity to gather feedback from our customers, and to see if there is any customer confusion by the words “Course”.

I am trying to gather some data to circle back to the leadership team with a recommendation.  Our team has had conversations with our Docebo SDM, so we have been advised of the technical nature and downsides of renaming things and tracking those changes, and knowledge transfer and communication can be impacted.

Thanks in advance for any advice and input!

Ben from Music City

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Ben Bauman 

Hi Ben, 
We too are relatively new users (1 yr now) and have changed the the words course to module, and Learning Plan to Learning Path. It took a me while in the localization menu, but I set aside 15 minutes a day to do the task. There will be instances where you won’t be able to change it internally, (for example when you create an enrollment rule), but client facing, it looks good. 

Also, whenever I reach out to Support, they easily understand it when I say modules.

Hope that helps,

Nicole

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Definitely seems doable, going to need to find a lot of items in the localization tool is the painful part as @Nicole mentions. One thing to remember is that those are some core words to the system, so you will need to play the ongoing maintenance game. Whenever new modules come out or existing are updated, you will probably need to do some more updates. Not a deal killer if that important to your org, but make sure to factor it in and plan for it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Nicole, thanks for the response.

Am I reading your message correctly, there is a “15 minutes every day task” that you have to do now, because of the naming conventions / localization settings your company has changed?  I am curious to know more details on what this could be.

15 minutes a work day will add up quickly (that’s 4 to 5 hours a month), and given additional considerations with my company’s use case, that might lead us to favor keeping the original naming conventions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I wonder if Nicole meant during the setup period to get through all the cases of those words? The localization tool shouldn't require daily update, just when system changes happen potentially, to do a quick search to see if they are appearing again.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Ben Bauman and @Bfarkas 

You’re right, the daily 15-minutes was just an initial set-up and not a daily maintenance measure. I think I did it in the summertime so it may have taken me a week or so? 

Nicole