Coach and Share for Resource Management

• 11 December 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi Everyone,

I’m proposing to our product heads and marketing team that we start utilizing Coach & Share channels (combined with pages) for resource management and to create a ‘source of truth’ for our employee base.  We currently have resources dispersed over a variety of systems (shared/private drives, salesforce, chatter, email, home grown course system, company website, etc) and our employee base would like the materials to have a more central location.  I’d love to hear thoughts on the following from anyone who’s launched coach and share for resource management:

1. Did you have any issues with launching C&S for this purpose?
  2. Any limitations you wish you knew of in advance?
  3. Anything you’d do differently if you were to launch again or any BPs you’re glad you have used from the start?
  4. How have you ensured that teams keep their channel’s assets up-to-date?

I appreciate any insight you’re willing to share, thank you!

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

We had a similar thought process, and honestly never fully got ours off the ground.  I was hoping to hear more about similar uses at Docebo Inspire, but all that I really heard at the conference were ways of using DCS that my company would never utilize like hosting social contests, which was disappointing.

Some lessons learned from our experience in exploring it as a resource management area that I will share are:

• The language of Catalogs and Channels was extremely confusing internally, just because they’re such similar words.  People couldn’t wrap their minds around the differences without being administrators (and even some of the admins weren’t fully understanding it.)  We ended up re-titling ours to “Discover, Coach, and Share” so that it sounded and felt separate.
    • We did have some catalogs and channels that were almost titled the same because they were on the same topic, which probably aided in confusion.  We ended up differentiating these slightly by renaming as “Safety Courses” and “Safety Additional Resources” for the Catalog and Channel, respectively.
  • We had a difficult time identifying and getting buy-in from “experts” for our channels.  This is largely the reason our initiative never really succeeded - if all parties aren’t willing to accept the new process, it becomes difficult to achieve.  I think before channels can be fully successful there needs to be at least one defined expert per channel that is in charge of ensuring that the content is appropriate and up-to-date, whether that’s an admin or a Subject Matter Expert.
  • A limitation or admin piece that I wish I knew about earlier was that some of the settings for assets don’t become active until after they’re created.  For example, when uploading a PDF, the ability to turn off downloads for the specific PDF does not appear until after it’s uploaded - so you would have to upload and immediately edit the asset to turn off download ability unless you disable downloads from the overall settings of DCS.  Either way, if you have something that goes against the norm there are some instances where immediately editing the asset is necessary.
    • We also had some worries about maintenance and what happens with all of these resources if we decide not to renew DCS.