Question

Copying a learning object without the central repository

• 8 March 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Does anyone know if there’s a way to copy a learning object from one course to another without using the central repository (and without copying the entire course)?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @elamast sure, if you ‘duplicate’ the course, you should see an option to also include the training material(s)

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @elamast sure, if you ‘duplicate’ the course, you should see an option to also include the training material(s)

I need to copy just a few LO’s across several courses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

if you wanting to copy the LO from one course to another course that already exists, there is no way to do that if not using the central repository

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@elamast I’m wondering why you don’t want to use the Central Repository? Would love to hear your perspective on it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@elamastI’m wondering why you don’t want to use the Central Repository? Would love to hear your perspective on it.

The biggest reason is that completing one instance of an LO that comes from the central repository automatically completes the LO for that student in all courses where it’s used.

Another reason is that sometimes you have an LO that is *almost* but not completely identical between courses.  Being able to copy the existing item saves a lot of time. If your course evals aren’t completely identical you end up having to create a new course eval/survey from scratch for each course.

Ed

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@elamast Ah...painpoints, I agree. I solved the first one (identical LOs) by uploading a 2nd instance of the content and giving it a different title before putting it into the Central Repository. Somewhat defeats the purpose, agreed, but at least I can at least I can track all training materials in the Central Repository.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

A related question, if I may…

Let’s say I create a course on Monday called ‘the Best Course ever’ and it has one Learning Object, let’s call it ‘Intro Module’. I enrol 5 people, and on the same day (Monday) the 5 people complete ‘Intro Module’ .

On Tuesday I create a a new course called ‘the Second Best Course ever’ I enrol the same five people. Then I go back to ‘the Best Course ever’ and push ‘Intro Module’ to the Central Repository. 

I then go ‘the Second Best Course ever’ and add ‘Intro Module’ from the Central Repository to that course too. Should the status/history of the module for the 5 users be reflected in ‘the Second Best Course ever’ ?

I find that it is not, but perhaps I did it wrong, hence my question to the sages of this forum -  or is that an LO status will only update courses where it exists already and this is not retrospective ?

My thanks in advance.

StephenB

@elamastI’m wondering why you don’t want to use the Central Repository? Would love to hear your perspective on it.

The biggest reason is that completing one instance of an LO that comes from the central repository automatically completes the LO for that student in all courses where it’s used.

Another reason is that sometimes you have an LO that is *almost* but not completely identical between courses.  Being able to copy the existing item saves a lot of time. If your course evals aren’t completely identical you end up having to create a new course eval/survey from scratch for each course.

Ed

This is exactly why I am here. Would love to see docebo allow the ability to copy any learning object to one or more courses to easily edit and without it being marked complete as the Central Repository does currently. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@ashleyhuedco Sounds like this should be posted as an idea. I found the following one that is very similar, so maybe you could add your suggestion to the thread.