Best Answer

Difference b/w Session and Event

• 24 October 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Apologies if this has been asked before. I searched for related questions and didn’t see a specific answer to this one. 

Can someone tell me the difference between Session and Event. I saw that it's important to think of the Course as a bucket that contains all of the learning material. I know events are for specific dates, but it’s almost as if they don't really need to exist since the Session does (aside from it being required by Docebo). 

Also, thank you for your patience. This my first time as an admin to an LMS. 

icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 24 October 2022, 19:22

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2

Events are the specific locations, days and times that V/ILT courses occur.  If you have only a 1 day course, then you will have 1 Session and 1 Event.  If you have a 2 day course, it’ll be 1 Session with 2 Events (day 1 and day 2).
Example:
Course: Office Safety
Session:  HR First Quarter
Events: Day 1 and Day 2:
Office Safety for HR held during the First quarter Day 1
Office Safety for HR held during First quarter Day 2

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Sessions can’t hold date/time data directly and don’t have location (virtual or in person locations) assigned to them directly. They inherit the properties set by the events. 

If you are running things and don’t need any of that, you can get away with only sessions, but most can’t, you end up with at least 1 event per session as a result to define the time/date/location information.

Userlevel 1

Thank you, @Tracy O and @Bfarkas

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@zoe.johannsen 

Here is another thread explaining this that may help as well.

I have a course that I am running 2 times.  I created a session and event for both.  I am only seeing one session listed in the course catalog and calendar.  Am I missing a step?  I was expecting to see multiple sessions shown in the catalog and on the calendar. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I have a course that I am running 2 times.  I created a session and event for both.  I am only seeing one session listed in the course catalog and calendar.  Am I missing a step?  I was expecting to see multiple sessions shown in the catalog and on the calendar. 

Sessions are only shown if they meet criteria to show such as:

• Date/time needs to be assigned and in the future if you are not enrolled in it already
  • If the session enrollment has reached Max it will not be shown unless you are enrolled in

If you are enrolled in one session already, views tend to aim more towards that one and it can be tricky to see other sessions, or you may not if you are not allowed to switch yourself.

If you just go to the course page, do you see both available? Probably the easiest check to then work backwards from.