Question

Different Landing Page for first login only

• 14 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Is there a way to make a page the first screen upon first login, but upon successive logins (and clicking the logo) a different homepage is displayed? 

We have a new user welcome page that is mandated for compliance, but it’s a pain that clicking the main logo takes them back to that page rather than what is the real homepage. 

I was hoping to use groups: create a group for users that have a null last active date (or something similar).  But, that’s not a user field that is available for groups.  

Has anyone achieved something similar?  Am I missing something? 

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @hwolfehall Only way I can think of to do this would be to find an attribute on the user profiles that can identify your new users and create a group with that. Then assign the ‘new user’ menu to that group only.  Then you’ll need to find another attribute that would identify them as a regular user and when that changes on the new user profile, they would be added to another group (regular users) and see the menu/pages for that group...basically it can all be controlled by groups but the ‘automation’ may be your biggest challenge.

If you have a ‘hire date” field, the Groups filters may allow you to create a date based adherence to the group...dont recall all the available options.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We are doing something similar where users see one homepage until they are finished with their required onboarding training.  Once they complete the course, they will see the regular homepage.

This is achieved with Autoenrollments and groups:

1. Autoenrollment rule to enroll any new profile added to our employee’s branch be assigned the new hire course
  2. Automatic group assignment based on the following criteria:
    1. User’s enrollment status in the onboarding course is “enrolled”, or “in progress” 
    2. User’s hire date is after a specific date (in case anyone who is is not a new hire but wanted to check out the most current onboarding course does not qualify for the group).
    3. Create a menu that only applies to the group so that their home page is the special onboarding page

This only works because we are using a user additional field for the hire date, like @lrnlab  suggested.  And since group assignment is also based on a user’s enrollment status in the onboarding course, once the user’s status is updated to “Completed”, they no longer are part of the group, and then they will start to see the regular homepage when they log in.

But since this is based on a course enrollment status, a user could be seeing a special landing page for a little bit.  We have not achieved having a page show for only the first log in.

Maybe you can add something to your privacy or cookie policy?  Those only show up the first time someone logs in.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @hwolfehall Only way I can think of to do this would be to find an attribute on the user profiles that can identify your new users and create a group with that. Then assign the ‘new user’ menu to that group only.  Then you’ll need to find another attribute that would identify them as a regular user and when that changes on the new user profile, they would be added to another group (regular users) and see the menu/pages for that group...basically it can all be controlled by groups but the ‘automation’ may be your biggest challenge.

If you have a ‘hire date” field, the Groups filters may allow you to create a date based adherence to the group...dont recall all the available options.

Thank you.  That was what I was hoping to use.  But the dated user attributes (other than the user created date) are not relative filters.  They require a static date reference (yet another idea/request that was submitted but rejected).  We can’t go in daily and update the date, so that doesn’t really work for us.  If you’re using relative date on a User Additional Field, please let me know how you’ve achieved it!!  I was hoping to use the standard User field: Last Access Date, but it’s not one of the available fields for Grouping.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @hwolfehall Only way I can think of to do this would be to find an attribute on the user profiles that can identify your new users and create a group with that. Then assign the ‘new user’ menu to that group only.  Then you’ll need to find another attribute that would identify them as a regular user and when that changes on the new user profile, they would be added to another group (regular users) and see the menu/pages for that group...basically it can all be controlled by groups but the ‘automation’ may be your biggest challenge.

Thank you.  That was what I was hoping to use.  But the dated user attributes (other than the user created date) are not relative filters.  They require a static date reference (yet another idea/request that was submitted but rejected).  We can’t go in daily and update the date, so that doesn’t really work for us.  If you’re using relative date on a User Additional Field, please let me know how you’ve achieved it!!  I was hoping to use the standard User field: Last Access Date, but it’s not one of the available fields for Grouping.  

you’ll need to create an Additional Field on the user management menu and then add your dates to the profiles; you can dos this via CSV import.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020125379-Creating-and-Managing-User-Additional-Fields#subtitle-3

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We needed a different landing page for a specific portion of our user base to allow them to select a learning path based on their persona.  Once they selected their persona on their first visit to the platform, their subsequent visits would drop them on a home navigation page designed for them similar to those for other users.  

I’m not sure if our solution might give your ideas for your own.  We created a widget page with enrollment links to four different learning paths.  Selection of any one of those learning paths lands them in a new group based on that enrollment.  The menus are ordered in such a way that the they are excluded from the menu that includes the standard home page until they are added to the group that has selected a learning path.  

It’s working really well for us, but it is a very specific use case.  If it gives you an idea on how you might be able to configure something that works for you. it’s a win.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yeah, I did a similar for a while using the last access date via a report. Basically all new users were automatically added to a group based on an additional field value of ‘new’, then every 6 hours the report would run based on the members of that group, and if their last access date showed as today, would use the API to update their additional field to remove them from the  new group, and then let other logic take over for deciding their homepage. Had to program it out though based on the field.

Longer term ended up going closer to @Annarose.Peterson suggestion, and basing on some short initial learning they were expected to complete in the first couple times on if not the first. Was much simpler and user feedback said more effective.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We needed a different landing page for a specific portion of our user base to allow them to select a learning path based on their persona.  Once they selected their persona on their first visit to the platform, their subsequent visits would drop them on a home navigation page designed for them similar to those for other users.  

I’m not sure if our solution might give your ideas for your own.  We created a widget page with enrollment links to four different learning paths.  Selection of any one of those learning paths lands them in a new group based on that enrollment.  The menus are ordered in such a way that the they are excluded from the menu that includes the standard home page until they are added to the group that has selected a learning path.  

It’s working really well for us, but it is a very specific use case.  If it gives you an idea on how you might be able to configure something that works for you. it’s a win.

love this, curious, are there instances of switching paths? If so, how does a user accomplish this?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

The learning paths are not mutually exclusive as we have learned that some learners have a change of roles and need to switch to another one. We have an add a learning path widget on the home page. They can enroll in more than one path which takes them to different certification courses.  Where the paths overlap it’s not an issue.  Where we do have trouble is if we have different pre-reqs in the paths as that confuses Docebo.  Hope this plan will work better when we get the optional courses in learning plans fix and some other learning plan upgrades.  Learners like it when their paths say 100% complete.  Now it’s less than 100% due to some optional courses.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There’s a guide that covers the mechanics of this. 

You could create an intro course that the user completes that introduces them to the platform that after completion (and next time they login) would trigger a different page to load.