Does anyone import tenure in their LMS?

• 21 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi all,

I’ve been wondering if there’s anyone syncing employee tenure into LMS and the best practices/use cases around it.

E.g.: How do you do it? What kind of HCM integration do you have? Do you sync it daily with the automation app? Count in days, months? And how do you use tenure to assign and manage trainings? Lot’s of questions, I know! But would love to hear from someone doing it. :)

Thank you!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Great question! I created an additional date field in the employee record call hire_date. We plan to sync that date field to our HRIS once we have the Workato connector in place. For now, it was populated with the initial user import, and for new employees when their Docebo record is created.

Using that field to assign trainings is a different challenge that i have not attempted yet… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Not exactly...we bring in the Hire Date as well as another date we call, Employment Status Start Date that holds the date the user started in whatever is the current role/job was well as whenever they are placed on LOA or come back from LOA. We also have a separate field for the termination date.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

We import tenure and hire date in our daily HCMS feed. As is, we use it mostly for reporting outside the system. On its own, tenure isn’t immediately useful to us. You could use it to group new hires, but we just auto enroll all new users into new hire training anyway, so there’s no need for it there. Tenure also doesn’t capture total experience. For example, John has 10 years of total experience, but 8 years at the company. Jane has 20 years of experience, but only 2 years at the company. John’s tenure is 8 years, and Jane’s tenure is 2 years. Jane’s tenure is lower despite having more total experience. You wouldn’t want to assume any level of skill or expertise based on tenure alone.

It could work if your company has a formal job framework with standardized titles and roles based on tenure. You could create user groups based on role and tenure and assign those groups training. For example:

• Advisor I > 0 years > Junior level training 
  • Advisor II > 1 year > Intermediate level training 
  • Advisor III >  2 years > Advance level training

This would only really work if employees had to start at Advisor I. It falls apart if someone is hired into an Advisor III. With that in mind, I tend to lean heavy on self-enrollment where folks navigate to and self-select what training they want to take (or told to take).