Question

Download list of all enrolment rules

• 2 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to download all enrolment rules with details of each rule?

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

As far as I know, there is no way to do this.  We had to manually create a spreadsheet to log all enrollment rules data about a year ago.  Now we manually update that spreadsheet whenever we change it in the system, so we have an up-to-date report.  But unfortunately we are having to handle it all out of the system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Agree, same here + we also had to document the Groups rules that go with the Enrolment Rules.

Userlevel 5
Badge

It would be great if there was a simpler way to do this, but I did find a couple of API calls in the API Explorer under Services = Manage, that can be a starting point to build out data on enrollment rules.

The first one provides a basic list of the rules.

In the second one you can use the ID from the list above to get info about a specific rule.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

So our spreadsheet includes: enrollment rule name, assigned courses, groups involved in the rule, and then whether the enrollment rule is currently active or not.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you all so much for this. I was hoping to not have to do this manually. I will have a look at the API option thanks @dwilburn but failing that a manual job it is :-) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you all so much for this. I was hoping to not have to do this manually. I will have a look at the API option thanks @dwilburn but failing that a manual job it is :-) 

couldn't resist testing the API and found it only gives you some details...there doesn't seem to be any API that will include all the details...one for assorted courses, another for groups, etc. I found it easier to just manually track it all right from the screen. Maybe that would depend on how many you have.

Userlevel 5
Badge

@Lucy Dolphin Hi Lucy, @Bfarkas has some great posts on using the API. It is not hard, especially if you have a sandbox. But you can easily test out get functions in production. You can pull the admittedly cryptic info and dump it into excel to get the basis of what you need. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

100% agree with @lrnlab . The API is just handy for getting the text to use. The first gives the basic info and the second is a specific query into each rule. Again, it may give you enough basic info and text to be helpful. Plus maybe you get your feet wet with the API. 😀