Question

Embed Central Repository videos via iFrame?

• 10 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2

I’m about to have somewhere between 300 and 400 short software training videos (lesson and demo pairs) that will live for the most part inside Storyline360-generated Scorm learning objects.  There is a chance we may also need to place some of those into the Central Repository for use outside of the learning objects.  
With so many videos, there is a high likelihood that we may need to edit content from time to time and I’m trying to avoid having to replace videos in (potentially) several places every time we do an edit, so I’m intending to iFrame embed our video content in both the learning modules and in Docebo training materials.  Problem - cost. For this many videos, we’re up against the high-end plans for Wistia, Vimeo and YouTube.
But, I can load videos into our Docebo Central Repository and use them/view them in any course… so is there a way to generate an iFrame URL directly from the video content in our central repository? And if so, if/when that video is replaced due to an edit, will the iFrame code stay the same?

If not, seems to me this might be a useful feature.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@kgmeloy By iFrame, do you mean a Docebo widget on your dashboard? I don’t think you need to use an iFrame at all if I am understanding your question correctly.

Learn supports .mp4 files as native training materials. You can put these into the Central Repository. Same process as Scorm files. If you put a new version into the Central Repository, you push it to whichever courses you want.

You could also create your .story courses to exclude the video material entirely and plan the course to say “watch the demo after completing this short lesson” … and then add the video as a separate .mp4 training material in the course. This would avoid the high costs, and keep your design consistent, and content all in one place.

We do similar things with our courses, and it works fine. I’m happy to discuss further if you need.

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat.Inc.

Userlevel 2

Thanks @KMallette , much of what you suggest is more or less what we’re doing.  We’ve decided to use Storyline so we can stylize our learning modules a little more than Docebo allows natively. Unfortunately this means either importing the videos into the .story file, or embedding via iFrame code in the .story file from a host service.  I much prefer the hosting solution for the ease of updating videos if necessary and smaller Scorm file sizes.
In the end, it would be amazingly useful if I could generate a chunk of iFrame code directly from a video in the Central Repository.  That way our videos could be in just one place (in Docebo), we could update them easily, but I would have a ton of flexibility in how I use the video content in a variety of delivery methods while still just being able to use the .mp4 files natively in Docebo.  Hope this makes sense, it’s been a long week so far. ;) 

Userlevel 4

@kgmeloy  - We’re using iframe in a similar way to present PDFs that are interactive. The caveat here is that it immediately marks the content as ‘complete’ contrary to an uploaded video or slide deck, but the time-to-upload and functionality from the native features is outweighed by the immediate completion metric for us.
We store and version the content on a separate platform. What I did was create a standard iframe settings and replicated it as training material for each external asset. I made a course for each ‘theme’ of content - holds about 40-50 training materials with a footer div that is just below the ‘fold’ on a standard laptop layout so the little ‘completion’ pop-up doesn’t distract the learner. Then I documented the content link (not the course link) for each and can use those content links anywhere I want.  The iframe training materials are then pulled from the CLOR into any course and are managed/updated etc. from our file storage system.  Now if I can just figure out how to force iframe refresh on page load, I’d be happy with this work-around :)

Userlevel 3

@kgmeloy  We are trying to do something similar.  Did you ever get an answer regarding iframing to the video in the central repository?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can’t iframe an internal link onto a page, it will make you get stuck in an endless loop of logging in.  I just tested to see if it would also behave the same way with that “https://cdn….” URL that is the storage location for the video and it seems to work?

To get that storage location, you can put the video in a course and when you view the course as a learner, open the inspect tool when the video is playing and you will be able to find the video source URL under the video wrapper. 

I would definitely do some extensive testing though, it didn’t break for me, but I didn’t try logging in and out.