Enrollment automation with mandatory due dates / times for Onboarding New Hires

• 17 April 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

New Hire Onboarding:  How do other companies assign mandatory training for completion on the New Hire’s employment start date (with a soft deadline so it doesn’t lock out the course)??   

What we need:

• Enrollment automation with accurate (soft) due date / time for completion assigned for day 1 of employment.  

Limitations and challenges we’re experiencing:

• For our purposes, we need the enrollment automation for compliance tracking purposes - we cannot use self-enrollment and do not want to rely on Power Users to manually assign.   
  • Currently, our enrollment automation is based on group settings for the user’s “creation date” which is functioning for everything, except an accurate deadline, particularly on Day 1 of employment.  

Detailed explanation:  

• I don’t see a function to enroll based on the “user additional field” > “employment start date = today”.  The functionality seems to only allow us to assign based on the user creation date.  
  • Course “days of validity” cannot = 0 for a soft deadline to be applied and 1 = tomorrow, so for this reason, we are bringing employees into the system 1 day prior to their employment start date so that their user creation date triggers the automation to enroll users in their Onboarding Learning Plan and assigns soft deadlines for completion with 1 day of validity. 
  • Examples:   
    • If we assign days of validity =1 on the employment start date of April 1, the due date reads April 2 when it really needs to be April 1.  
    • If we have the employee brought into the system 1 day prior to their employment start date, with the course days of validity =1, it tells them that they are 2 hours overdue when they log in, because it’s then going granular from # days to time.  

What am I missing here?  How are other companies managing automation for assigning mandatory training deadlines for first day of employment?  

Thank you!!  

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @treedy - We use the ‘Start Date’ field to assign our Onboarding courses. We started using enrollment rules this year, so our start date is set to ‘After’ Dec. 31, 2022. If Start Date is not integrated in your LMS, you may want to check this with your IT if they can include, as this is a very useful field that you can use for other purpose. Although using Start Date would process the assignment on the actual start date of the learner, so it makes sense to use ‘User Creation Date’ so you can enroll learners ahead. Maybe your schedule for User Creation needs to be changed to a later time so learners will have the entire day the next day (start date) to complete the course? See if it will make a difference.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Similar to the above post, we created a custom field to store the user’s hire date. Then a Group is set-up to capture everyone hired after date X. That Group is then used to assign course. Each course had a set number of days in the Days of validity field that automatically sets a due date (soft deadline enabled for sure). Users usually get a few months to a month to complete their courses…

What I’m not quite clear on in your description is the due date...do you need users to immediately show as overdue when they start? Why the “1” day of validity?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks @lrnlab and @jlreonal.  Sounds like we’re using it very similarly, and yes Jreonal, having the users created at a very specific time is the only potential solution I’ve thought of so far, so thank you for confirming that from your perspective.  

Irnlab, for us, we work in an industry where completing a health and safety orientation ON the first day of employment is incredibly important for regulatory and OHS auditing purposes.   What’s happening is because the user creation time (and when the group and onboarding Learning Plan gets assigned) is likely first thing in the morning 1 day prior, so by the time the new hire gets started, it’s already telling them the course is a # of hours overdue, but days of validity can’t =0 and if we change the user creation date to the start date, it’s telling them that the due date is the following day.  

Our Use-Case: 

We need new hires to complete their HSE Orientation course by end of their first work day (say 5:00 pm on their start date), so if we could have the user creation date / time be 5:00 pm 1 day prior to the start date and then set the days of validity to 1, this will likely work.  I’ll have to check with our IT team to see if this is possible, I just figured there MUST be something I’m missing in Doceob’s settings!    

Thanks everyone for your help and ideas - please let me know if anyone sees a possible solution that I’m not seeing!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If you were assigning manually, you could change the due date time but with the enrolment rules, it all depends on when your users are created. If you have a small number of folks starting weekly for example, you could manually rest their access date/time range on the enrolments tab so at least they wont see that a nurse is 2 hours overdue.

Reminder that what Docebo displays at the time is on UTC timezone so it always looks off but from the user view, it should match tier time zone.

I have similar question - I have onboarding courses in a learning plan that needs to be completed:

1. 1 week after hire date
  2. 2 weeks after hire date

But they are all part of the learning plan. If I take them off the LP to set validity date, it won’t work as I’ll have to know when they’re hired to manually do that on the individual course level and duplicate these courses to achieve that so it doesn’t affect those that completed it.

In the LP, I can set it to be completed a certain day(s) after they get access to the LP, but that would mean for ALL the courses in the LP and not for specific courses. 

We’re trying to avoid creating multiple LPs with just one standalone new hire course. Any help?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Queen - The solution I ended up with was having automation and consistency around when a new hire was activated into the system (1 day prior to their start date), as the enrolment rules were triggering as soon as the new hire was activated.  Once that consistency was in place, we were able to use course soft deadlines and days of validity for each course within the Learning Plan - whether the due date was 1 day, 7 days, or 14 days from the employee’s start date.  Hope this helps.   

Thanks a lot @treedy. We went with creating different LPs and condition with XYZ days to complete after enrolled in the LPs, extended some of the completion days for the classes and added them to the LPs based on completion days. Pheww!