Eradicating enrolment

• 24 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi, we’re getting close to soft launch and are toying with the idea of getting rid of enrolment… My understanding is that enrolment as a concept is a commitment to doing a course - either dictated by the admin or by the learner. 

In our use case, an admin will not enrol users onto courses - we intend to host partner onboarding learning videos that they can watch in their own time. We hope they’ll want to watch them all but we certainly won’t enforce it. 

We are thinking of enrolling all users to all courses basically, as it will solve a few issues for us:

1. deep linking to a training video within a course - this is probably one of our biggest gripes. Based on learner behaviour outside the platform, we want to target them with an engagement campaign that links them directly to a very relevant video. E.g. they have received a sale for Product A, we want to link them to a specific video about Product A, not to the course enrolment page.
  2. as a whole, the concept of enrolment feels weird for people in our business - in many e-learning platforms you don’t have to enrol, you have a similar function of “saving” a course for later and the call to action is to “start learning”… 

I’m sure there will be some drawbacks of eradicating enrolment and that I may have made some wrong assumptions - what are the problems this creates? And has anybody else taken this approach?

Thanks in advance 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@miguelsousa to evaluate the impact, it would be needed to better understand your needs and specific requirements.

From what you wrote, I wonder, why you even need an LMS. If everyone is going to have access to everything, and you expect people to pick modules they need from videos grouped into topics/categories with the ability to link to them directly, you could place your content on YouTube or on a file management and sharing system like Sharepoint or Box. 

It is not to say that you don’t need Docebo, I expect you have good reasons and justification for implementing an LMS. It’s just unclear from your post what they are, and it makes it hard to tell if enrolling everyone into everything will have an impact on your needs and usage scenarios.

From the learner experience point of view, a lot depends on how broad is your product portfolio. Is all learning relevant to all users, or do you have several offerings for which you provide onboarding and users may be subscribed to only one or a few of them?

As there are a lot of moving parts, I’d suggest discussing this with your assigned Customer Success Manager, I had a great experience with Docebo’s staff helping us to align the platform to our unique needs and understand the pros and cons of specific ideas. 

I suppose we procured an LMS system to provide a good learning experience for our partners… being able to package up learning materials as courses, being able to track overall progress, leveraging gamification, certificates, style it in line with our brand, implement SSO, etc goes above and beyond other streaming platforms.

Most content is relevant to most learners. I thought we could still segregate the small amount that isn’t by leveraging groups/branches.

We are speaking to our Solution Deployment Consultant about it but just wanted to open up to the community to see if anybody else had followed this pattern/thought about it and decided against it (and why).