Google Analytics

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

In the Add New Apps in Docebo, we have activated “Google Analytics” which reports out on our Docebo platform and was wondering if anyone else is using this.

• We are trying to understand what our users are interested in (courses, widgets on the home page, reports, etc.) 
  • To know what widgets on our platform are being used the most, so we can move, remove or add new ones.
  • To communication with our management the Google Analytics reporting on the platform.

If you have any suggestions here, please let me know. 

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi there,

We use Google Analytics mainly to see the following:

• How many views each page has
  • What’s the activity after releasing a new training (after sending out a newsletter)
  • When our users are most active (day of the week, hour)

Unfortunately, I’m not sure if it’s possible to see which widget is being used / not used. I would also be interesting in hearing if there are any other things you can use Google Analytics for :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

One of the first things I suggest to clients when I start working with them is to set up Google Analytics if they can; there’s some great data there, no question. Some of my clients live by this data as it aligns with their guidelines for other website activities so the metrics are standard across their business.

Echoing @abartunek’s point (good to see you again, btw, Adam!), the biggest value in GA in my view is the page views and time in session; the maps of accesses (depending on your use case); and the behavior flow in order to see drop-off points. For some, it’s also helpful to have details on browser and OS are being used as well as if the users are coming on via mobile browser.

Userlevel 2
Badge

We are also using Google Analytics primarily for Total Users, New Users, Course Completions, Number of Sessions and Average Session Duration.

To supplement this, we drop the information into Google Data Studio and include more detailed information such as ‘Top Ten Course Completions’, whilst being able to add a date range for ease of looking at required dates.

I’m a big advocate of Data Studio for making for analytics you have easier to view and distribute.

Userlevel 5
Badge

We are just implementing Docebo and I have activated Google Analytics. We are using Google Analytics 4, and while I see data flowing, it is incomplete. We see no page_title information which is really the minimum information we need here. Anyone else using GA4?

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We’ve got the GA app installed and it’s great for the top line numbers on activity, but not for digging down in to the detail. 

Pros: We use it to track use of pages, which is very useful for us.  It’s also very great for tracking and monitoring time on site, pages per session etc.

Cons: The page titles aren’t easy to decipher, so you can’t easily use it to track learning in a specific course.  If you have a lot of time to spare you can export to excel and get more information. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@mwd I’ve had a client deal with a similar experience when setting up GA. He’s shared with me:

“Google pushes you to open a Google Analytics 4 property when you set it up which does not currently show you as much data. I had to open a Universal Analytics property as well to get the full data and they both now run simultaneously.

To do this open the admin page in Google Analytics, select create a property and open the advanced options. You should then see an option to open a UA property. You will need to add the UA code into the google analytics app in Docebo alongside the G4A one for it to work.

Here's what my account/properties section now looks like, as you can see, I have both G4A and UA running:

Maybe this can help?

Userlevel 5
Badge

@SuperShaune yes - I was looking at going back to GUA as that seems to work, but concerned about the longevity. 

Are there any plans to expand the Google Analytics capabilities, or maybe add Google Tag Manager as an App in Docebo? This would be really useful as we could then integrate with other marketing and data tools.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Are there any plans to expand the Google Analytics capabilities, or maybe add Google Tag Manager as an App in Docebo? This would be really useful as we could then integrate with other marketing and data tools.

Hey @mwd - given you likely have SuperAdmin access, there is an open Idea in our Ideas Portal for Tag Manager enhancements for Google Analytics users.  There isn’t a great way to share a link, since the portal is currently embedded into the LMS, but there is a search function within that tool that should work great.  Search for “DL-I-2095”.  We would love your feedback (and votes)!

It reads like this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

For tracking activity related to the on-site search or courses played by users I use GA’s Content Grouping.

For example, here is a rule for extraction of the search terms from Docebo’s URLs -

/learn/global-search/(.*)

Then it’s picking for me all search related page views so I can easily report on them.

Similraly I use content grouping for the course player:

and pages:

If you know the URL struciture, you can build those for many other elements in Docebo.

Userlevel 5
Badge

I did a similar filter like you did @alekwo. I made a dashboard with my search trends for filtering the global search urls, assets, courses, and pages. This gives me a great overview of the various areas of the site.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This might be my misunderstanding, but if you have Google Analytics then you can also implement Google Tag Manager. It’s just more individual placement of code on your pages vs. a single GA code that goes in the GA app in the admin section. We’re still implementing so I can’t give specific steps yet, but my intent is to use GTM to help with tracking/behavior flow (which is challenging in GA) and with course widget interaction.  

Userlevel 2

Hello. I'm researching/learning how to integrate Google Analytics (GA) with Docebo, and I'm also curious about the type of information we can gather from GA. 

From what I've read here it seems that GA is good to track page views, sessions, behavioral flow, but it won't provide information like course's progression or completion, right?

Although, someone (liam.finnegan) said that they're using GA for 'Course Completions'.

So, could Liam or someone else let me know if this is really possible, and where's this information in GA?

Thanks

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

We are also using Google Analytics primarily for Total Users, New Users, Course Completions, Number of Sessions and Average Session Duration.

To supplement this, we drop the information into Google Data Studio and include more detailed information such as ‘Top Ten Course Completions’, whilst being able to add a date range for ease of looking at required dates.

I’m a big advocate of Data Studio for making for analytics you have easier to view and distribute.

@liam.finnegan We are also looking to use Google Analytics to track the same data. Are you able to share how to set this up? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Would anyone be interested in having a Group for Google Analytics where we can share ideas and have a work group to help some of us get our Google Analytics pages up and running with some dashboard? 

If not, would anyone be interested sharing offline?

Please let me know. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@erin.brisson is there any opportunity to leverage a Docebo Community space, to create the type of discussion forum @Swatson is referring to in the above comment?

Allow for java script in order to have a full google analytics integration. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

A suggestion @erin.brisson - this is a great recipe that we should have in one place on the site. @alekwo built out a nice how to...but this is buried in the discussion. Maybe - we should not only vote up a best answer, but we should be able to flag it as a recipe...

Thank you @alekwo! Once I get going even further? I will back into the analytics portion with some of the advice you bring along in this thread.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Allow for java script in order to have a full google analytics integration. 

Thank you for writing! The current Google Analytics app for Docebo does work with the embedded JavaScript code that Google provides, using the “Global Site Tag” method.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I am SUPER excited about the possibilities for analytics.

@martiniwinski  and @alekwo 

How is the URL approach related to the GA “Site Search” (if at all)?

Do I need to turn on the ‘site search’ in GA to see results with either the filter option (shown here) or the content grouping option you show?

Is anyone using a mobile stream with the Go.Learn app? I haven’t found anything on setting one up yet.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @lhubbard,

I also tried the ‘site search’ in Google Aanalytics and it worked like a charm to get search result data in that section of GA. I recommend using those instructions you shared. It’s more streamlined than the grouping/filtering option.

Thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi Everyone!

I just created a Group Request - Google Analytics - if anyone would like to share ideas and have a work group to help some of us get our Google Analytics pages up and running with some dashboards. 

I hope you will all join the group!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Here is the link to the Group Request - Google Analystics - 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I did a similar filter like you did @alekwo. I made a dashboard with my search trends for filtering the global search urls, assets, courses, and pages. This gives me a great overview of the various areas of the site.

@martiniwinski this looks amazing.  I have just set up GA and would love to know how you achieved this!

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi Neil,

I created a new dashboard to house this information.

You can create a blank dashboard and add widgets to it.

Here’s an example of the search term widget settings:

Here’s another example of the graph for courses:

And finally the course views table showing page views:

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Amazing - thanks @martiniwinski   I have been tinkering around, but this will help no end!