Skip to main content
Best Answer

Guidance on user feeds

• 13 May 2022
  • 3 replies

HI,

Can anyone point me in the direction of any guidance notes/help pages on automating user feed into docebo (form other systems)?  This was managed by a third party provider and I’m keen to get our own IT department to make some improvements but it would be good to pass on as much info to them as possible so they are not starting off in the dark.

Any signposting gratefully received. 

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Hi @KTJD there are a few different ways to do this...you can build a connector that draws info from an external system, transforms the raw data with rules based on what Docebo needs and then imports it. This would require the efforts of a developer and an ftp server.

We use this method and also one with the built in Automation app. In this case, your data needs to be “Docebo ready” and you also need an ftp server but the automation can pick up the file and place your users in default branch or in defined branches if your input file contains that data.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Thanks - are there any official guidance notes/help pages?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

No to my knowledge...we are fortunate enough to have access to developer for our custom solutions and as I have done this type of integration many times, I do most of tech data prep for them.

If you want to use the Automation app, you only need to have a file that contains the data you want to import and an ftp server. It basically does what the manual CSV import will do you for you but on a schedule. You drop the file on the ftp server and the app connects to that to pick up the file and run the import. If you need to transfer the source data to make it Docebo-ready, you can do with with rules and lookup tables in excel and then create an ‘output’ file that is placed on the ftp server for the automation app tis pick up. Essentially you want to create a ‘template’ that transforms your HR data into Dcoebo speak.

for example, for a user to be active in Docebo, you need a column that contains a Y or N, 1 or 0..your HR file may have text instead of this so you want to create a table that looks at that field and takes the HR text, say it’s “Active”, or “at work”, and translates that to a “Y’ or 1. If someone is On Leave, that could translate to a “N” or 0 to deactivate the profile in Docebo.

So you would do this for all the data fields you want to import from your HR system and create a template. Once the rules are in place, you should be able to replace your raw data file daily and the transformation rules create the Docebo ready file for import.

Hope this makes sense...it’s always easier to understand once you’ve seen in action...if you have any more questions, let me know.