Question

How can I tell what custom report is not being utilized?

• 18 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

For the last 4 yrs we have created over 200 unique (or duplicate) reporting. (Admins/Power users etc)  How can I view when the last use / access was for these reports?  we need to streamline reporting but do not want to recreate the wheel. 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Robin H not sure there’s a direct way to whether to know if a report (that is not scheduled) has been used recently. You CAN see off it was recently updated but that won't get you what you need. Perhaps you can get a hold of the report owners to ask? You might have what appear as duplicates but sometimes they have subtle differences so I always prefer to ask the report owners to let us know. You could also identify a bunch you think are obsolete and when you contact the report owners, let them know that they will deleted in x days if you get no response...

Userlevel 1

Thanks, we have too many cooks in the kitchen for reporting requests and nuances.  How can I see if it was recently updated?  From filters and categories (top row) there is no option (created by, visible to etc, no update option)

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

sadly the only way to see this as far as I know is to open the report and you can see who also updated the report

Userlevel 1

Identifying valid reports/ update statistics and usage is still an issue. we need a better management system to identify best practices and to lock down reports so other PU’s cannot change configurations. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

The struggle is real. Reporting is very challenging where there are changes in the company or the users move on. Admin cannot copy a report and assign it to a user and make it theirs. If we create the report and give them visibility or schedule it, then we get notifications every time. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Just a thought. I too had a lot of reports that were seemingly useless. So, I turned off the scheduling and when people reach out about not receiving the report, turn it back on, otherwise after a certain period of time (I use a month), I delete the report. Just a thought.

I know it doesn’t solve for what you are exactly looking for, but it did help me clean up my list of hundreds of reports.  :-)