Question

How can managers complete a checklist for an employee without using Observation Checklists?

• 16 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

Our management teams complete a Technical Skills Assessment for each of their employees. The managers mark the date when an employee masters each item in the assessment. We would like to move the marking of this assessment into Docebo. If an employee transfers to a new location, we need their new management team to be able to access the completed assessment.

In theory, observation checklists would be the perfect solution for us; however, this will not work because both the manager and assistant manager need to be able to mark mastery of items on the assessment. Unfortunately, observation checklists only allow for one person to be able to mark items.

We are looking for other ways that we can offer this assessment in Docebo Learn. Has anyone done something similar or have ideas? Thank you in advance!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Could you create 2 checklists and each one filled out by the manager/assistant manager? Other than that, the only thing that comes to mind would be to create some kind of assignment in a course however that would require that your managers have admin access or at least made an instructor in that course to be able to see and ‘evaluate’ the assignment. The user can upload more than 1 doc if that helps…

There are also a few ideas posted requesting that a checklist be available to more than 1 approver so please look those up.

Userlevel 1

@lrnlab, thank you for the possible solutions. Unfortunately, we cannot create 2 checklists so both the manager and assistant manager can complete one for the same employee. We need all of the items in one checklist so management teams aren’t bouncing between checklists to see who completed what with the employee. It would also create too much confusion if an employee transferred to another location. Our managers would get frustrated with having two checklists to review for every employee and make them question our use of Docebo.

As for adding an assignment, we had thought about that; however, we don’t want every manager to be able to see every other employee’s Technical Skills Assessment assignment which would happen if we made all our managers instructors for the course. We also want managers to be able to easily refer back to the Technical Skills Assessment results for their employees in the future. Managers need to be able to see the date when someone was marked as passing a specific skill.

I have reviewed several of the checklist ideas and upvoted several. I’ve also reached out to our rep about observation checklists since this is the logical solution if they worked slightly differently.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @kjanderson, I don’t think there are any easy solutions here, but depending on whether you have access to e.g. Docebo Connect (or are comfortable following @Bfarkas’s guides on using Docebo’s API with e.g. Power Automate), there are certainly ways to integrate Docebo Learn with a third-party checklist solution.

One example is Smartsheet, and while I’ve not used it myself, I answered a similar question to this one about three weeks ago.