Best Answer

How do Groups and Enrollment Rules work?

• 5 November 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I am relatively new to the Docebo platform, and for the most part am finding it very intuitive. The one thing that I cannot understand is why enrollment rules function the way they do. As far as I can tell, enrollment rules only work for new users added into a group. For example, if you create an automatic group that captures 4 users in the system, and then assign that group to an enrollment rule, the enrollment rule will capture zero of those users. The only way to make that rule work retroactively is to edit the user account so that it doesn't fit in the group assigned to the rule, and then re-edit it so that it ends up back in the group. I played around with assigning an empty group to an enrollment rule and configuring the eligibility after the fact, but this does not seem to be a fix. I must be missing something here I imagine?

icon

Best answer by nick.tosto 5 November 2021, 14:09

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@mshumway I like to think of enrollment rules as a tool that will help you automate your enrollments “from this point forward”. While it would be nice if you could just check a box to have the rule apply retroactively, you can always just use the bulk enrollment option to capture the users who are already in a group.

Say you wanted to enroll the “Sales” group into a course and to have all future salespeople that are hired be enrolled into the course as well. To start, I would bulk enroll the group into the course, and then set up an enrollment rule to enroll each new person as they trickle in. It’s a two-step process but the enrollment rule will save you the hassle of enrolling each new member going forward.

There are a couple workarounds to trick the system into thinking that there are new members in the group so that the enrollment rule triggers but I think it’s a lot simpler to just do a one-time enrollment for the existing users.

Hope this helps! I think you’re thinking about enrollment rules correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I played around with assigning an empty group to an enrollment rule and configuring the eligibility after the fact, but this does not seem to be a fix. I must be missing something here I imagine?

@mshumway - A question - is that still happening for you? Because it sounds like you order of operations should work. If you configure before and enable the enrollment rule and people begin to hit the group after? Then you should start to get people into the enrollment rule. Your historical (in theory) is then zero.

Am I missing something?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I played around with assigning an empty group to an enrollment rule and configuring the eligibility after the fact, but this does not seem to be a fix. I must be missing something here I imagine?

@mshumway - A question - is that still happening for you? Because it sounds like you order of operations should work. If you configure before and enable the enrollment rule and people begin to hit the group after? Then you should start to get people into the enrollment rule. Your historical (in theory) is then zero.

Am I missing something?

So it didn’t work like this the first time a ran it, but I added another eligibility rule to capture another user (preexisting in system) and that seemed to work as I had hoped. Still a little confused, but I think @nick.tosto’s suggestion to bulk enroll users by group on top of setting up the enrollment rule is probably a smart practice for me to start implementing going forward.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

You are correct that order of operations is key to groups and enrollment rules. However, best-practice is to build the group to capture the audience you want to automatically enroll moving forward. From experience, it is very easy to edit a group and then accidentally enroll existing users via the enrollment rule. 

Userlevel 1

I like the enrollment rules but I feel like the connection between groups and enrollment rules should be more dynamic.  One of the biggest things that Docebo is missing is removing people from a course that no longer fit the group criteria.  We used to use Totara and its enrollment groups were MUCH better.  You created a group, you could check to make sure the right people were in it, and then you assigned it to a course.  It would instantly enroll everyone in that group.  If you made changes to the group, not only would it enroll people but disenroll people no longer eligible for that group.   The course completion would remain on the completion transcript but in progress or not started would be unenrolled from the course. 

I don’t like adding a blank group to the enrollment rule that is already in effect because you can’t check to make sure your eligibility rules of the group are correct before it starts enrolling people.  I guess you could deactivate the enrollment rule before you start configuring but if you forget to do that, make a mistake on your eligibility rules (which is very easy to do) and then you end up enrolling your entire company into a course our a learning plan.

In doing some testing yesterday, I did find that even if you copy a group, that copied group (even though its new) will not trigger enrollments.  You have to build a BRAND NEW group each time and reconfigure the eligibility.  In my opinion, it just makes it harder to administrate because you just keep creating groups rather than using the same ones repeatedly. 

I also really dislike the bulk enrollment of adding a group to a course because other than using the Rollback function, there is no way to remove that group back out of the course if you need to.  Not to mention in the rollback feature, you have very limited filters to be able to find the right people to roll back.  More filters should be added to the rollback functionality.   

I guess I don’t understand why Docebo can’t improve this functionality.  There are so many things I love about Docebo but this is one of their bigger weaknesses as a system. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

hello @eefields , I agree with you. If enrollment rules are not met, and the student no longer belongs to this group, they should be unrolled from the learning plan or course, depending on the rules. 

Did you create a new idea with this suggestion? I think it will have many votes, including mine.

Userlevel 1

@msantos no I didn’t but I will do it and put the post here.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

hello @eefields , I agree with you. If enrollment rules are not met, and the student no longer belongs to this group, they should be unrolled from the learning plan or course, depending on the rules. 

Did you create a new idea with this suggestion? I think it will have many votes, including mine.

I know it is not identical, but it is similar and close enough that maybe add the situation to it there too? 

The one thing I’d say is if removed currently you can lose some learning records potentially, so it gets a little tricky.