Best Answer

How do you handle employees who are on leave in Docebo?

• 10 November 2021
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hello,

Currently, employees who are “on leave” remain active in our system. Therefore, they are still enrolled in courses while they are out and there isn’t a way to identify them in reporting. I believe it is ideal to move “on leave” accounts to an inactive status, but this could cause them to be missed from course enrollments via enrollment rules (since active users remain in groups and will not get enrolled in courses they missed once they become active). 

How do your company handle employees who are on-leave in Docebo?

Thank you!

Jessica 

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 12 November 2021, 17:54

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Jessica Overby we usually make them inactive but this depends on how you manage user updates. We use the import method mostly and some sub domains are using a direct connection to their HR system where we build in rules that state that if a user is on leave or terminated, the profile should be inactive. Please note that we created custom fields to capture things like, 

• Employee Status (active, on leave, terminated)
  • Employee status start date (captures the date of the change)
  • Termination date

Note that we don't actually use the profile expiry field.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

HI @Jessica Overby we usually make them inactive but this depends on how you manage user updates. We use the import method mostly and some sub domains are using a direct connection to their HR system where we build in rules that state that if a user is on leave or terminated, the profile should be inactive. Please note that we created custom fields to capture things like, 

• Employee Status (active, on leave, terminated)
  • Employee status start date (captures the date of the change)
  • Termination date

Note that we don't actually use the profile expiry field.

Thank you for sharing! What do you do about groups and enrollment rules though? If they are inactive, they still remain in the groups, so if you add new courses to an enrollment rule attached to that group while they are on leave, they will not be enrolled. 

Userlevel 6

We create a new branch called Inactive Users, disable the accounts, and move them in there. Prevents email notifications, etc. 

Then when they come back, we reactivate via CSV and move them to the branch with the enrollment rules, etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jessica Overby i guess that would depend on how you manage users. you can move them out of branch as @Jessica Overby mentions however if you need to move them back into their original branch, you’ll need a way to track that info. To get around the Group issue and drop them out while on leave, you can simply add “employee status” field I mention above and only include the “Active” users. This was anyone on leave or terminated is removed from the group and then added back when they changed to active

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

This is a GREAT idea. Thank you!! I have a list of additional fields I would like to add via our custom Workday API and now employee status is one of them ;)

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Jessica Overby i guess that would depend on how you manage users. you can move them out of branch as @Jessica Overby mentions however if you need to move them back into their original branch, you’ll need a way to track that info. To get around the Group issue and drop them out while on leave, you can simply add “employee status” field I mention above and only include the “Active” users. This was anyone on leave or terminated is removed from the group and then added back when they changed to active

Last question. Do you include the employees on leave for compliance reporting? Technically, they are supposed to complete the course when they return. 

What if a one-time enrollment occurs while they are on-leave?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jessica Overby that really depends on your own company policy and what your auditors may request. In past roles in this area, our compliance teams did not track those on leave and were excluded from assignments until they were back at work; and not tracked in reports until that time. When returning to work, they would be newly assigned with the same initial period to compete the course.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Jessica Overby that really depends on your own company policy and what your auditors may request. In past roles in this area, our compliance teams did not track those on leave and were excluded from assignments until they were back at work; and not tracked in reports until that time. When returning to work, they would be newly assigned with the same initial period to compete the course.

Thanks for the help!

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Jessica Overby i guess that would depend on how you manage users. you can move them out of branch as @Jessica Overby mentions however if you need to move them back into their original branch, you’ll need a way to track that info. To get around the Group issue and drop them out while on leave, you can simply add “employee status” field I mention above and only include the “Active” users. This was anyone on leave or terminated is removed from the group and then added back when they changed to active

@lrnlab Do you need to use the status field in all your groups when assigning training that my include employees on leave? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@dianex.gomez yes, we add the criteria that a user must have an “active” status, based on a custom field.

Works well for those on leave before you set it up that are assigned when they return to active status but not so great if they were active and go on leave and the they are un-enrolled automatically…