How do you handle Gamification & Rewards on your platform?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey guys,

We’re in the middle of reworking how Gamification works on our platform. We plan to add more rewards, change some of the badges and add new ones.

What is your approach in terms of Gamification? How do you promote it? Do you give badges for every single course? Do you have any cool ideas for Rewards (especially virtual ones)? Amazon vouchers are always a good idea but we would like to also have some cool stuff we could give out.

Here are some of our ideas for rewards, hopefully they can be some inspiration to you as well:

VIRTUAL REWARDS

• Adopt an Animal (sort of a direct action https://support.wwf.org.uk/adopt-an-animal)
  • Plant a Tree (50 trees for 50$ with help of some charity organisation, we haven’t decided which one yet)
  • Subscription to Scribd (website with ebooks and audiobooks)
  • Subscription to Pluralsight (3-month sub to a site with professional IT courses)
  • An additional day off work
  • National Geographic Subscription (12-month of receiving print & digital editions of National Geopgrahic
  • Amazon Gift Card

PHYSICAL REWARDS

• Bluetooth headphones
  • Wireless speaker
  • Instax (a mini instant camera that “prints out” your photos)
  • Fitness smartband

In addition to that, we also plan to have some country-specific rewards. If you have any other ideas, they would be most welcome! We plan to implement new rewards by the end of Q2.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@abartunek -- It sounds like you’ve devoted some serious attention to how you structure incentives for your gamification initiatives! 

When I consider rewards for a gamified environment, I ask three questions:

1. Who are my learners? Sounds basic, but keeping in mind the varieties of users on the other side of your training will help you identify what kinds of interests they have in participating.
  2. What do they value? Relatedly, what matters to them? Are they likely to see a reward as an added extra or as something intrinsically valuable? If you’re not sure, you could always survey them to find out. 
  3. What’s my goal in gamifying these programs? You don’t have to gamify learning environments, so what are you trying to accomplish by doing this? Thinking about the goal can help you both quantify contributions (specifying, for example, how many points participants get for completing different categories of tasks) and design incentives that make sense within that framework. For example, if your goal in gamifying an environment was to create habits of lifetime learning, maybe you could include a subscription to the MasterClass app. If your goal was to create a more socially conscious workforce, you could offer to make a donation in the learner’s name to a charity of choice. 

Hope that helps! So curious to see what everyone else does!

Userlevel 4
Badge

@abartunek - thanks for sharing these and I love that you include options to give back in your rewards. I’m willing to bet those will be popular!

In terms of gamification, how you assign badges will largely depend on the behaviour you’re looking to incentivize in your users. Here is a recent thread with some great examples, including one where custom flows are built for the learner’s journey based on the idea of levelling up, eg. once you complete a certain learning path, you get access to ‘better’ badges and rewards.

Hey guys,

[...]

Here are some of our ideas for rewards, hopefully they can be some inspiration to you as well:

VIRTUAL REWARDS

• Adopt an Animal (sort of a direct action https://support.wwf.org.uk/adopt-an-animal)
  • Plant a Tree (50 trees for 50$ with help of some charity organisation, we haven’t decided which one yet)
  • Subscription to Scribd (website with ebooks and audiobooks)
  • Subscription to Pluralsight (3-month sub to a site with professional IT courses)

​​​​​

How do you give away these Virtual Rewards, we want to use Costum skins (Halloween) for their playable character and it would be great to have these skins right away. Even they play Docebo learning at night.