Best Answer

How is there not a way to differentiate between courses that are mandatory/assigned for a user vs. optional/self-enrolled?

• 1 October 2023
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi there!  

I’m really struggling to figure out how to display a set of courses that are mandatory for a user to complete.  We can assign the days of validity or end date with a soft deadline but it doesn’t stick out, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to differentiate between those courses that are required of them, and courses that they self-enroll in to complete at their own leisure.  

The Pages tasks widget - “display upcoming deadlines” only displays deadlines for courses due dates that are in the future (not overdue), and then when there isn’t something in the future, it tells the user they’re all good, when they actually have courses past due, sitting under Not Started or In Progress.  

The Pages channels and catalog widgets does not allow a display that filters out courses that are already completed.  

What do you do to differentiate for a user, their mandated/required/mandatory or assigned training from self-paced self-enrolled training?  

Appreciate your experience and ideas with this!  Best, Tanya 

icon

Best answer by Cheney 2 October 2023, 09:53

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We have added a course additional field for 'Mandatory' = 'yes/ no' 

You can have a filter on that specific set of courses that are not yet completed. 

Additional fields can be used to filter ☺️

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Cheney Amazing!!  That is super helpful - thank you!   I’m curious if you’ve been able to figure out a way to display that filtered set of Mandatory courses in a Page widget?  And if yes, if you could share any additional notes on which widget / settings, I would be forever grateful!  I believe I could grab the URL for the filtered set and use it as a button link, but would really prefer if we could put it in in-page widget.  

Thanks again for your help on this!!   

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hey our compliance courses sit within their own catalog “Compliance and Mandatory Learning” we don't host that on a page in a filtered type of way. 

Our page has the In Progress and not started channels next to a the Task List widget for courses with deadlines and ILT events 

The compliance team drives completions through notifications that trigger months/weeks before the deadline. Additionally we have the ‘My Team’ enabled so managers can also see who within their team is not completing things so the manager can support them to complete if needed. 

For anything overdue we rely on notifications and our compliance team has rigorous completion metrics so they keep following up, unfortunately we don't have the same use-case as you to show past deadlines they way you are needing to, but perhaps you get to a space you won't need to show it. 

In our case the 'not started’ and ‘in-progress’ channels will only get to zero/empty once everything is complete, including overdue items. 

I hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @treedy the same as @Cheney we’re using a dedicated catalog where we add all mandatory courses. We have a dedicated tile/link on the home screen pointing our users to the page presenting this catalog. 

To avoid confusion, we configure all mandatory courses to be visible only to enrolled users (as not all courses are required for all employees) - so each person opening the page presenting this catalog will only see what’s relevant to them. 

We have a weekly email notification for in-progress and overdue courses with a digest of all incomplete mandatory courses.

We also have a set of escalation messages sent to the person’s manager (7 and 2 days before the deadline) as well as to the course instructor (from the compliance team) a few days before the deadline.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

We have added a custom field to indicate the course is Mandatory as previously mentioned by others, in addition we have a prefix of ‘Mandatory Compliance’ on all of these courses so that they are searchable and filterable as well

Userlevel 3
Badge

Loving all of these ideas - super helpful!  If anyone could also please share a screenshot of what their home page and mandatory compliance training pages looks like, I would super appreciate it!  The one @Cheney sent through gave me some ideas I otherwise wouldn’t have thought of, like the red calendar thumbnail overlay and have now added the rounded edges CSS which really helps give it a more modern feel! :)  Can’t thank y’all enough!      

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@treedy May you share the CSS code snippet for the rounded corners?  I love that look.  So simple yet what a change in view!

Userlevel 3
Badge

@Jtischler you bet!  I found two posts on it below - I applied the first one and it was super easy, but applied to everything.  Haven’t tried the second one yet.  I also put in an idea to add it as an option to the platform rather than CSS - if you want to give it an upvote :)   IDEA:  Add Option for Round edge (modern feel) on widgets and buttons (not through CSS) | Community (docebo.com)  

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nice finds, adding roundness to the CSS Wizard backlog for fark.tools, marking here to circle back to.

Userlevel 3

I just can’t with all of these workarounds when it should be a simple report data point.  Basic functionality/basic reporting.  Assigned vs. enrolled. It’s not rocket science, yet Docebo doesn’t have the capability.  I can’t come to these idea pages anymore. It’s just frustrating.  Nothing that is helpful to admins or users gets done.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @Cheney @Jtischler 

How do you add a course additional field/custom field please?

Many thanks 😊

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@SarahBee 

Here's the guide: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020127679-Creating-Additional-Fields-for-Courses-and-Sessions

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @Cheney 

My need for an additional field is the same as @treedy (to signify mandatory courses).  The additional field will help with search and reporting on mandatory training, which is great, but when looking for courses in the course catalogue I still have to open the course and read the course details (and even then have to click on ADDITIOAL INFORMATION) to see that this particular course is mandatory.  Also, I can’t figure out whether an employee, when looking at their My Learning page, would be able to see at a glance which of their courses are mandatory so that they can give them priority.  Presumably I’d have to add a “Mandatory” prefix to the course title but there are occasions when a course that is mandatory for certain job roles is not mandatory for others.
It seems very odd that a Learning Management System doesn’t have what is a pretty basic requirement i.e. being able to label courses as being mandatory.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

2 things make it easy for employees for differentiate their required learning from self development learning:

You can use additional course fields inside catalogs to filter 

Additionally in our org we also have seperate catalog to store all our compliance courses in 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

I have also added 2 additional fields. One to indicate if self enrollment is allowed, and the other to indicate if it is a mandatory training. I only use this for reporting. I know there is a field in the course settings for the self enrollment status out of the box, but I couldn’t find any way to report on it.

To display the mandatory training to our users we use a standard format. It is in a learning plan, even if it is just one course. The learning plan title will include the year the training was issued. We rarely add new learning plans to the list, so everyone is kind of used to seeing these X number of learning plans every year. All of our training is rolled out at the same time and has a due date of Dec 31, so displaying the due date is less of an issue for is.

We use groups and enrollment rules to auto enroll into the mandatory training learning plans.

We display the mandatory training on the same page as anything they have self enrolled in without any issue.

The user’s landing page is their task page, so they don’t start on a catalog, they start on what they are enrolled in.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @SarahBee, I think we have a very similar use case and I’ll be honest, I still haven’t found a really good way of doing this (seems to be a very lacking basic function within Docebo). 

So far, the best solutions I’ve found are:

• At the course level, apply days of validity with a soft deadline (so the course doesn’t get locked out after the due date) to ensure there is always a deadline date associated with the course assignment. 
  • Go to “Configure Branding Look and Feel” and use CSS to make the expiration date a colour that stands out boldly to users.  This is the CSS Code that I used: 

Course Card: Make expiration date bold and red:

/* Change the color of the deadline on Cards */ .ui-card-status-details {
color: #c9014c;
}

/* Change the color of the deadline on Lists */ .ui-list-item-status-details {
}

Course Card: Make expiration date bold and red:

/* Change the color of the deadline on Cards */ .ui-card-status-details {
}

/* Change the color of the deadline on Lists */ .ui-list-item-status-details {
}

Visual below for reference.  I added the “Quick Tips” as an image with transparent background to help explain to our employees which courses are their mandatory courses.  

For reporting, we set up a report that only generates if there is a deadline associated with the course and the course status is in progress or not started, but you’re right - in some cases the course is mandatory for certain people, but not for others - we use enrolment rules to assign all mandatory training, and then if someone self-enrols in a course, they generally are more interested in completing it.  I’m afraid there isn’t really a perfect solution at this time, but very interested to hear what others are doing.  As an aside, I am working on a new version of our Learning Hub as we are moving into Dayforce (which works on an instance of Docebo which seems to be even more limiting.  I’m currently doing some exploratory work associating mandatory courses with channels and then using channel widgets to display those courses that a user has not started or in progress.  I haven’t quite gotten to a result I’m happy with, but it’s looking somewhat promising… please keep us posted on what you find!