Question

How to convert GIFT to csv/xls for Test Questions?

Userlevel 1

Hi all, 

I found it is very difficult to view all quiz questions using Docebo. When I used question bank, it only showed me part of the questions and did not show me the answer unless I clicked edit button. 

Is there any way for me to view questions and answers easily? Or, if I exported our quiz questions to GIFT format, is there any way to import the GIFT format text file to excel? Thanks a lot. 

Regards, 

Will 

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @wlui have not found any easy way to do this but did quick search and came across an old article from Moodle you may want to read

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=66660

it contains a BETA version of a conversion tool

Userlevel 1

Hi @wlui have not found any easy way to do this but did quick search and came across an old article from Moodle you may want to read

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=66660

it contains a BETA version of a conversion tool

Thanks for your help. I can see that one is converting xls to GIFT. However, I want to convert GIFT back to xls. Is there any way to do so? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

not sure...since GIFT is somewhat like xml or html format, you would need something to identify tags vs. data in the GIFT file so not sure you can easily convert it back to excel. Any reason you need to do this? Are you looking to perform a question analysis?

Userlevel 1

not sure...since GIFT is somewhat like xml or html format, you would need something to identify tags vs. data in the GIFT file so not sure you can easily convert it back to excel. Any reason you need to do this? Are you looking to perform a question analysis?

You are in the point! Yes. I want to perform a question analysis. If the questions are a bit long, it can only show part of the question. Also, I cannot see the answer at the same page in question bank or central repository. So, I want to have a way to show all the questions and answers at the same time. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Ah, now I can help...Docebo provides this data under the Reports tab...just navigate to the Training Materials tab under reports and there you can download all questions including all answers from all users who took the test. Once downloaded, you can easily use a formula to add up the correct vs. incorrect answers.

Formula I use to count: =COUNTIF([add range of cells],”Yes”) to count yes’s then change to “No” to count  incorrect answers. Once you have the totals, you can use a simple formula to get the percentages, etc.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 1

Ah, now I can help...Docebo provides this data under the Reports tab...just navigate to the Training Materials tab under reports and there you can download all questions including all answers from all users who took the test. Once downloaded, you can easily use a formula to add up the correct vs. incorrect answers.

Formula I use to count: =COUNTIF([add range of cells],”Yes”) to count yes’s then change to “No” to count  incorrect answers. Once you have the totals, you can use a simple formula to get the percentages, etc.

Hope this helps.

The platform is now under migration and no users completed any exams yet. So, I cannot see any data from the report at this moment. Thanks anyway. 

Assuming you, or someone on your team, is proficient at programming, you could write a script that converts the GIFT files (which export as .txt files) into .xlsx files. We wrote Python scripts for the opposite process (i.e., to convert .xlsx files into GIFT files for efficient test bank uploads) but I took a look at the exported .txt files and it looks doable.

Once you have the GIFT format, you can use ChatGPT. Just ask it to convert it from GIFT to something readable. You can also do this backwards if you need to import into Docebo (you will need to look over what ChatGPT gives you though this way, sometimes the GIFT is missing what the correct answer is)