Best Answer

How to link to a catalog from within a course?

• 19 January 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
  • Helper II
  • 26 replies

We have a learning plan with several courses. All courses are mandatory. There are 4 types of optional live Zoom sessions (these are not part of the learning plan).

The current setup is: 4 ILTs (one per type) bundled in a “Live Sessions” catalog.

What I want to achieve:

I want to direct learners to that “Live Sessions” catalog from within each of the mandatory learning plan courses. My idea was to add an HTML page along the lines of “Don’t forget you can join a live session” plus a link to the catalog.

Where I’m stuck:

I can’t find a link to a catalog that works for all users. The only link I’ve found is one I grabbed from the course catalog overview page. That link works for the user I was logged in as, but not anyone else. A link to the specific ILT instead of the catalog would also be great. Surely, that’s possible, but where do I get the links from?

UPDATE: I suppose that’s what enrollment links are going to be that will be rolled out at the end of January 2022

icon

Best answer by alekwo 19 January 2022, 10:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@LSP as far as I know, every catalog has an URL like this: your.platform.address/learn/catalog/view/<catalog_id> for example site.docebosaas.com/learn/catalog/view/28

Every user who have visibility into a catalog, should be able to use it.

If you’re the only one seeing it (as a superadmin I suppose), you probably didn’t add other users (via Branches or Groups) to the catalog’s access list. You do it using the “people” icon on the list of catalogs:

On the other hand, in you are creating a page, instead of having there a link, you can also add a Catalog widget, and present courses from the catalog already there, saving users one extra click.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi Alekwo,

thanks for the great response!

The Custom Widgets page is an interesting idea, but it only exists at the dashboard level, not within the course, right? Or is there something you can add to a course?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@LSP Indeed, you can not add widgets in courses, but this all depends on how you want to design the overall user’s experience and the navigation flow.

I’m not sure if having courses listed within courses is the best approach - as should you make any changes things may easily get out of sync. With pages/widgets/catalogs - the information is always up-to-date, as it’s dynamically fetched from Docebo.

We’re using custom pages to guide people to the content which is relevant for them. For example, we have a dedicated employee home page, and from there is a link to a page for New Hires, which is listing all mandatory courses for a new person and is providing a selection of introductory courses to let them learn about our products. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m not sure if having courses listed within courses is the best approach - as should you make any changes things may easily get out of sync. With pages/widgets/catalogs - the information is always up-to-date, as it’s dynamically fetched from Docebo.

Yeah, that’s a fair point. It’s a bit challenging for us to find a good balance. Some of our users with learning disabilities have a hard time navigating the LMS, so we’re aiming to provide a very clear next step that’s ideally a one-click action that takes them exactly to the right place.

But thanks for the reminder re maintenance, I think I’ll stick with a catalog link then