Question

How to stop notifications for specific users?

• 2 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Our business has employees who go on leave throughout the year and we’ve run into a problem where their managers continue to get digest notifications (course incomplete) for them while they are away. I’m wondering if there is a way to manage the notifications at the user-level without changing their system status or manually unenrolling them from courses?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@IanMonk - easiest way is to impact if they are in a group or not. Groups can be defined by the metadata in their user profile. So maybe you create a user custom field called away. You make the group criteria to be inclusive of folks that do not contain “away”. When they come back - you do need to change the value for the user so that they can be included back into the notification.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@IanMonk- easiest way is to impact if they are in a group or not. Groups can be defined by the metadata in their user profile. So maybe you create a user custom field called away. You make the group criteria to be inclusive of folks that do not contain “away”. When they come back - you do need to change the value for the user so that they can be included back into the notification.

I like this a lot. I’d make a self-service form embedded on a page for the user to submit to request the leave and return their status on return, they would just select a reason, start date and return date. Use the API to modify the field based on form submission(could do some approval workflows off of it that way) Too lazy to manually change them myself :)

I heard someone changing the away persons email address to a junk box basically previously, but that wouldn’t solve the manager part, and I don’t like nearly as much as @dklinger ‘s idea.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

@IanMonk- easiest way is to impact if they are in a group or not. Groups can be defined by the metadata in their user profile. So maybe you create a user custom field called away. You make the group criteria to be inclusive of folks that do not contain “away”. When they come back - you do need to change the value for the user so that they can be included back into the notification.

I understand how this would work to stop sending the user notifications, but wouldn’t the manager continue to get notification?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yeah I’d assume so, hmm. This one is intriguing.