• 25 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hello,

Yesterday I made the following series of actions:

1. Create an automated group
  2. Create rules
  3. Wait 15 min to make sure the rules fully populate all users (it was only 283 of them)
  4. Add the group to an enrollment rule

Based on this, the group should not have been enrolled, and should not have gotten notifications either. However, they did.

Obviously, people were not happy. They were understanding, but…

So is this bugged?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrodman This is a tricky combination.  You have to create the group, but DO NOT add any eligibility requirements to the group. Then create your Enrollment rule naming the group, and enable the rule. Then add the group eligibility.

The result SHOULD BE (when I’ve done it this way) is that existing users do not get enrolled, but that NEW users to the platform DO get enrolled due to the enrollment rules looking at the new users but not the existing ones.

Let me know if I’ve mis-read the goal you had for the enrollment rules.

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrodmanThis is a tricky combination.  You have to create the group, but DO NOT add any eligibility requirements to the group. Then create your Enrollment rule naming the group, and enable the rule. Then add the group eligibility.

The result SHOULD BE (when I’ve done it this way) is that existing users do not get enrolled, but that NEW users to the platform DO get enrolled due to the enrollment rules looking at the new users but not the existing ones.

Let me know if I’ve mis-read the goal you had for the enrollment rules.

Regards,

KMallette/Viasat, Inc.

If you add the group to the enrollment rule THEN add the requirements, wouldn’t that add users to the group AFTER the group is attached to the enrollment rule, therefore enrolling them?

I thought putting the people in the group before turning on the rule would only enroll NEW people not “old” group members.

You are correct as to my goal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrodman I agree… the process that you’ve used does seem the logical one.

Take a look here: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020128579-Activating-and-Managing-the-Enrollment-Rules-App

KM

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrodmanI agree… the process that you’ve used does seem the logical one.

Take a look here: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020128579-Activating-and-Managing-the-Enrollment-Rules-App

KM

Based on this KB it sounds like I did it right - no?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@lrodmanLook at that top paragraph under Use Cases

When new users are created in the platform, they can be added to a New Hire group based on the hire date user additional field. Use the Enrollment Rules app to set up an enrollment rule so that, once added to that group, the users will be automatically enrolled in the onboarding courses and learning plans. To do so:

1. Create a group with no eligibility conditions
  2. Create an enrollment rule, and assign it to the newly created group, as well as to the onboarding courses or learning plans
  3. Configure the group eligibility based on the users' hire date (user additional field)
  4. Once the group is populated, its users will be automatically enrolled in the onboarding courses and learning plans

What I see here is the condition of a new user coming into the platform… not an existing user.

And don’t forget, that my personal experience is that it doesn’t work following the steps you took, but I have used this process several times and it comes out just as I want.

KM

Userlevel 5
Badge

We’ve come up with a “hard reset” process for groups that already have people in them that you want to associate with an enrollment rule. I’ve posted them elsewhere but let me know if you want me to share them with you.