Best Answer

ILT - Session vs. Event

Userlevel 3
Badge

Ok. I am struggling with the difference between a session and an event. I can see the differences when building it out. Can you all give me some examples of the differences between sessions and an event?

I also read the “Naming Conventions for ILT post. Great info, but for some reason, still struggling. We would simply have 1 session/event. The session would recur quarterly, but the event?

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks,
Michael

icon

Best answer by gstager 21 July 2022, 16:46

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

In my ILT courses, we also have recurring sessions that are exactly the same.

For example, my ES-111 course occurs about 8 times per year. Each of those times is a session.

Session 1 - Jan XX - Jan XX

Session 2 - Feb XX - Feb XX

Session 3 - Mar XX - Mar XX

Session 4 - May XX -May XX

Etc…

The Events are basically all the items on the agenda.

Introductions 8:00-8:15

Course Overview 8:15-8:30

Etc…

When a learner signs up to take the course - they select a session they wish to attend and add that to their cart for purchase.

Does that help address the question?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I also read the “Naming Conventions for ILT post.

I tried the link in your post above but it did not work.

For others interested, I believe this to be the correct reference.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@gstager  Yes sir! That is what I was thinking but the naming seems backwards. Like I should be creating an Event and then scheduling the sessions for that Event.

Thanks so much! That clarified it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@mlubenski I struggled with the same exact thing, where I would think that an event is my whole training, and the session would be an individual day! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

@mlubenski yes, I was recently supporting a Power User create an ILT but it had been quite a while since I’d done it myself & we had to do a lot of trial & error to determine which was which. @gstager ‘s response to your post is about the best way I think it can be summarized.

To be honest so much of what I’ve learned using Docebo has been through either trial & error or by an accident. It’s a great learning process, as long as you don’t break anything you can’t fix afterwards.

Userlevel 3
Badge

To be honest so much of what I’ve learned using Docebo has been through either trial & error or by an accident. It’s a great learning process, as long as you don’t break anything you can’t fix afterwards.

I just wish it wasn't SO MUCH trial and error. It is time consuming. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

In the main we don't use events, usually just courses and sessions.  So for example have we a 1 day Recruitment and Selection Course which can run many times a year.  As its a 1 day course each session we create relates to one scheduled instance of that course.  We keep the course and sessions names exactly the same.

The only time we use events is where there might be a programme or multiple days for a course.  E.g. Our coaching for managers course is a 3 day course which happens in non-consecutive days over the course of a month.  So for each run of that course we have the course, the session (which is the thing people book onto) and then the events which represent the 3 days of the session.  This way when someone books on the session they not only get a notification to confirm booking, but it also contains a calendar invite for each separate day.

Our biggest problem with this is where people want to do the same course twice.  So if a manager did the recruitment course 4 years ago and they fancy a refresh, they cannot book onto the same course (or rather session) again as the system says they have already done it.  They have to know to unenrol first before enrolling again (which they never know to do)

Userlevel 3
Badge

@KTJD 

Question - If you do not use events, are these in person training? If they are not, how do you schedule the webinar without creating an event?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

my bad.  we do create events (just not multiple events unless its a multi day course).  So the event is basically an exact replica of the session usually.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello @KTJD , is it possible make session attendance (session Completion), using a CSV file? I did not find in the Docebo´s help this information.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

My understanding is no you can’t.  As part of our launch we had to get someone from Docebo to historically migrate a lot of our training history.  Unfortunately we realised there we some courses not included, so although we can bulk enrol people via csv, we cannot bulk complete them.  this means we have to painstakingly choose a completion date for each person manually.

I don’t know if this is a way for Docebo to make money i.e. they upload for a fee, or whether genuinely its not something they can easily implement, but personally I think this is basic functionality that should be in place.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

My understanding is no you can’t.  As part of our launch we had to get someone from Docebo to historically migrate a lot of our training history.  Unfortunately we realised there we some courses not included, so although we can bulk enrol people via csv, we cannot bulk complete them.  this means we have to painstakingly choose a completion date for each person manually.

I don’t know if this is a way for Docebo to make money i.e. they upload for a fee, or whether genuinely its not something they can easily implement, but personally I think this is basic functionality that should be in place.

I agreed with you. It´s a basic functionality, and  easy to implement. Maybe it´s not a priority to Docebo´s Product Owner. I created a API process to migrate the course historic, but it´s not easy to the HR personnel to use regularly.

Thank you for your comments. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

In my ILT courses, we also have recurring sessions that are exactly the same.

For example, my ES-111 course occurs about 8 times per year. Each of those times is a session.

Session 1 - Jan XX - Jan XX

Session 2 - Feb XX - Feb XX

Session 3 - Mar XX - Mar XX

Session 4 - May XX -May XX

Etc…

The Events are basically all the items on the agenda.

Introductions 8:00-8:15

Course Overview 8:15-8:30

Etc…

When a learner signs up to take the course - they select a session they wish to attend and add that to their cart for purchase.

Does that help address the question?

Hi @gstager , How do you get the Location ID and Classroom ID in order  to create a event using a CSV file?

Using a CSV file do create a session and Events are not easy.

For create a session by csv file  we need a course ID. To get it, we have to generate a report, or get this ID direct in the URL information.

To create a Event, we have do use a session ID (the same process do get Course ID), and the Location ID and Classroom ID. I did not find these to ID´s...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@msantos 

I think if you just drill down into your classroom menu - you can find them.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi @gstager thank you.

I found it. But the location_id I only found in the URL information.

In fact, it´s not easy to create events using a CSV file. We have to get 3 internal Ids (Session, location and classroom).

Manoel