Individualized Notification Based on Completion Status and Enrollment Date

• 10 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Would love to see if anyone has figured out an automatic notification workflow here. 

Use Case: We have two Orientation Learning Plans get assigned on a learner’s hire date. Each course within the Learning Plan has a 14 day deadline to allow for a soft deadline. At that point, a notification goes out to the new learner and their manager about the assignment. 

We would, then, like to send reminders on Day 5 and Day 10 to the learner only IF the Learning Plan is not complete (it’s ok if we tie it to the courses). The language in the Day 5 and Day 10 reminder are slightly different. 

Then, we have past due notifications (using Notification of Digest: Course Has Expired) going out daily to the user and weekly to the manager. 

Questions: Is there a way to set up the Day 5 and Day 10 notification to go out incorporating Enrollment status and time from enrollment in the course? 

Could I use the Digest: Course Has Expired Notification type and, set it for 9 days before due date on “exact day only” for the Day 5 message to trigger and another one set for 4 days before due date for the Day 10 message? Is there a better way?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

to send out the same notification at different times/dates, you need to create copies of the same notification with the settings and language that apply to the times you are sending them.

IN your scenario, there is a notification called, Learning plan enrolment expiring that works only when a due date is applied to the LP. I that works, you can create a version of the notification for each timeframe to send...each configuration is essentially a new notification. Here are the time options you can use

what may be missing is the notification that alerts users (or others) that a course has yet to be completed. You can set those up based on the courses though. Only caveat is these are based on the enrolment date and not the due date so your language may need to be adjusted accordingly.

Then create copies with your different settings as needed. Each one having its own timeframe of when it will be sent. When we do this, we generally have 2 or 3 reminders (meaning 2 or 3 notifications). 1 at 7 days before the due date, another 1 day before and the last 1 day after the due date; but you can set it up in whatever configuration that works for you + select what courses and LPs you want them to be applied to (so not all your course and LPs need to follow the same format or have the same language, etc.)

Hope this helps…

@lrnlab Thank you so much! Since we need to have a soft deadline, I don’t think I can set the LP deadline and use that notification. Could I use the Digest: Course Has Expired notification with similar logic? Or is there another notification that could accomplish the same goal?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

you cannot display the soft deadline in emails or on screen since it’s not a definite date...this option only allows users to access the course after the validity end date but does not set an actual date.

Yes you can use the digest version however the “send” options are not as flexible as the non-digest version so be careful with that and make sure it works for you...

@lrnlab I did not realize that you cannot display a soft deadline. That’s helpful! And, thanks for the tip on comparing the Digest and Non-Digest Version. Didn’t even consider that they may have different options.