Best Answer

Is there a way to create a link to automatically put users in a group when they are created?

• 14 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I am supporting restricted content that is available to users who complete the approval process outside of Docebo.

The workflow is 

Apply > Review  > Approved > Welcome letter and access to the restricted content

I would like the welcome letter have the link to the LMS and have that link add them to the group. I know I can send a link to directly enroll users to a learning plan or a course, is there a way to do the same for a group?

Note: the applications are manually reviewed and emails are sent out for each approval. There is no “system” in place to integrate with via API. 

If not, what other options do I have? Currently I am using an automated group and am listing the user’s emails for eligibility. Two challenges:

1. I am a power user and every time I need to add someone I have to contact a super user. I have access to the group but cannot edit eligibility. 
  2. Long-term, the group could grow beyond the eligibility rules (500). I can think of a manual maintenance strategy, but I don’t like manual and am looking for automation. 
icon

Best answer by Bfarkas 14 April 2022, 16:36

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hmm so there’s no link that auto enrolls in a group, but can you use the link to auto enroll in a course and add a condition based on the enrollment of that course? This course could be a “fake course” in your case maybe mirroring the welcome letter, but once in the course they auto add to the group? You could technically add an end course too and on condition of completion remove them from the group to manage the size.

normally I’d use an additional field and an api to update it based on the registration form, but you said no go to that, just leaving in here for future people looking at options. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@dianex.gomez have you thought about placing these users in a specified branch? You could then use the Branch to manage the group and perhaps use the Newsletter to send out a manual email blast to the group?

Agree that using automatic groups for PU’s is a challenge since you can only view these. Using a branch would reduce the need to update your group.

you can also use the branch to control catalogue access for your restricted content.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@lrnlab Interesting. How would I put them in a branch with dynamic user creation. We have a user identity customer SSO. The process is that they get an Identity with an Enterprise ID. Then access the system using their Identity, one userid and password for all customer facing systems. How would I put them in a branch as they sign-in for the first time? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hmm so there’s no link that auto enrolls in a group, but can you use the link to auto enroll in a course and add a condition based on the enrollment of that course? This course could be a “fake course” in your case maybe mirroring the welcome letter, but once in the course they auto add to the group? You could technically add an end course too and on condition of completion remove them from the group to manage the size.

normally I’d use an additional field and an api to update it based on the registration form, but you said no go to that, just leaving in here for future people looking at options. 

@Bfarkas I thought about using one of the courses in the learning plan that I am auto-enrolling them in, via enrollment rule. But the courses are also available for self-enrollment on the platform. That would mean I would get extra people in the group that are really in this program. I don’t love the idea of a fake course, but it might be a useable workaround. Currently I am having them enter on a program page that. The auto-enroll fake course link would take them directly to that course. Maybe I can make it a “program introduction” course with benefits, expectations, and next steps. Hmm, you got me thinking. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

@Bfarkas I thought about using one of the courses in the learning plan that I am auto-enrolling them in, via enrollment rule. But the courses are also available for self-enrollment on the platform. That would mean I would get extra people in the group that are really in this program. I don’t love the idea of a fake course, but it might be a useable workaround. Currently I am having them enter on a program page that. The auto-enroll fake course link would take them directly to that course. Maybe I can make it a “program introduction” course with benefits, expectations, and next steps. Hmm, you got me thinking. 

Yeah, I figured if you were sending a welcome email, the course could just replicate that essentially as a secondary way to see it and work as your trigger. I do like @lrnlab idea if using branch, I had avoided because you’d have to move them to the branch and not sure of your branch structure and if it works for this, sounds like it might conflict but interesting for the newsletter piece. Your issue of multiple user types for same courses is why I typically handle this via api. Curious what the form is being used for the application/registration? For instance if I did that form in Qualtrics or office forms they could be setup with a workflow of sorts so that you basically get an approval email, click the yes/no button in the email and then everything else happens. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Manually moving them into a branch after they are on the system is the same manually adding them to a group after they are on the system. Plus, we are keeping the branch structure pretty high-level. The participants in this group are a segment of a larger population identified at the branch level. I think I will just continue to pester the super admins as needed to put them in the group. I will keep the “welcome course” in mind, I might have a different use case for that. Thanks @Bfarkas 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

There’s also a ton of ways to do this via api. It’s kind of funny to be trying to automate but not want several of the automation tools :) A “fake course” of sorts comes in handy a LOT and sometimes can even enhance the user experience for different user types going down similar pathways. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@lrnlab Interesting. How would I put them in a branch with dynamic user creation. We have a user identity customer SSO. The process is that they get an Identity with an Enterprise ID. Then access the system using their Identity, one userid and password for all customer facing systems. How would I put them in a branch as they sign-in for the first time? 

In one scenario, we use the Automation app connected to an FTP server. During this operation, you can designate the “destination branch” (same as the destination fallback branch when using the manual CSV import) and it works like a charm.

Once your file is uploaded to your ftp site, you can schedule the automation app to pick up the file, import the users and all of them will be placed in the destination branch automatically. Beats using API’s and is much simpler to use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

“Once your file is uploaded to your ftp site, you can schedule the automation app to pick up the file, import the users and all of them will be placed in the destination branch automatically. Beats using API’s and is much simpler to use.”

@lrnlab I think the ease level there depends on your setup and access to things, I.e. it relies on an ftp and someone generating that file. Some orgs do not allow ftp access to things so is tough to gain access period and the generation of that file can be more complex to generate automatically depending on org requirements too, or is manual and we are back to square one of might as well just mark the person for the group directly. End of the day the CSV into the automation app is using api’s just with a user friendly input of the CSV, but automating that file is the key then and can be just as involved.