Best Answer

Learning Assets vs Courses Best Practices

• 15 June 2021
  • 2 replies

We migrated to Docebo from our previous LMS about a year ago and are now working on a rollout plan for Coach and Share. Since our previous content creation was purely course driven, I am struggling to determine when to use assets for pre-existing resources vs a course. Is there a comparison chart between the twoor some best practices of how you utilize both types of content? 

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 15 June 2021, 17:06

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

hi @cbasta, what I would recommend is treating Assets in Coach & Share as something more “optional” and courses as mandatory. When it comes to assets, you cannot check who has seen what, you only see the overall number of views. Additionally, if there’s something that you know your users will have a lot of questions about or something that will open some discussions, Coach & Share is the way to go.

Another thing is, depending on who is using your platform, try to identify people, who would be willing to help. Make them the “Experts” for some of the channels and let them take some responsibility if possible. Coach & Share is all about empowering others to share their own resources. It is often a tough job to encourage them but if you make it work, the results could be great!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @cbasta agree with @abartunek you can think about what you want or need to track in the user learning history vs. what don’t or what is not considered formal learning. Formal learning is usually based on business, regulatory or accreditation-based requirements and most often needs to be tracked an reported on at the individual level (*and sometimes even deeper depending on the content)., With the social learning components available in Docebo, you can now decide whether specific content that was not considered as ‘required” or mandatory can and should be consumed. If you have content that is purely information (good to know but not necessary to do my job) you can opt to have it attached to a course a “information only” or place it in a channel where you can drive more traffic, discussions and comments. As @abartunek mentioned, you can (and should) assign at least 1 expert to each channel who can ‘moderate or answer questions posed about the content. This too can drive peer engagement and allow you users to have online discussions about important content that you do not track for formal reporting/auditing purposes.

Some examples of what you an use Channels for that not considered formal learning:

• Self-help, FAQ’s about the LMS (how to navigate, what to find and where, etc.)
  • General questions about the company, HR, links to those resources, etc.
  • Sourcing external content from websites, videos, etc.
  • Support materials and job aids
  • Topics of interest for your employee base that can contribute to your company’s overall success...(how to have effective meetings, managing my inbox, etc.)

Hope this helps...