Learning Plan Score

• 12 December 2023
  • 13 replies

I think I know the answer to this, but I wanted to check because this platform surprises me with what it can and can’t do regularly.

Can I set a final pass/fail continue on a learning path based on multiple courses or based on a learning plan?

Right now I just have two courses with two learning elements a video and follow up SCORM scenario/quiz. I want the combo of the two to be the pass/fail move on to the next section of the learning plan which is compliance courses. 

(This is all for New Employee Onboarding and the first two courses are on our mission and values. I can combine them into one course, but I know my stakeholders would like it better if they could see the separation of those two courses.)

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Sounds like you're asking about prerequisites...you can set the order of the courses in the LP and if you make 1 or more a prerequisite to the next courses, users will need to “pass” or complete the prerequisite course(s) before they can access the next ones...

and then select which courses must be completed in oder to access the next…

I don't want to set up prerequisites. I want a combined score between the two courses, primarily because the first course only has one question reported from the SCORM content. I want the score from the two separate SCORM outputs to combine into one score if possible.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

oh! that’s very different from pre-reqs...don't think the LP’s have any type of scoring options unfortunately. You can do this inside a course if you combine your content into a single course...not sure off that would work for you?

Yeah, I’m will check with my stakeholders to see if they’d rather it be one course or just a complete/incomplete for the course since a one question quiz would be hard to pass/fail.

Ok, I put the lessons together, so now it is video, scorm, video, scorm. How to I set what sum or average of score is what is passed or failed in the course?

I’m sure it is a combination of the SCORM quiz output and Docebo settings, but I don’t know what they are.

Let’s say I want it to be between the one question in the first SCORM and the 6 questions in the second, I want an average of 80% of the questions answered correctly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

the calculated score in a course is the result of the learning objects that generate a score like a test, SCORM object, etc. You cannot set an actual pass score on the course though. Each object will generate a pass or fail based on the scoring options you build into each learning object and from there you can use the setting to either track the average score of all the objects that generate a score or a sum and that will show as the overall course score on your reports...does that make sense?

It does make sense, but I need the average score to allow the user to move along the learning plan. What a bummer I can’t get it do do what I want.

Feels like I have run into that a bunch lately.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If you want to assign a course based on the status of another course (like a pass = completed) you can do that with Groups and Enrolment Rules. You can still have your LP but control who gets assigned what’s next only if they pass. To match it up to your LP, you then create equivalencies between what’s in the LP and the assigned courses...I realize this is not an elegant solution and would require more work however once it’s all set-up, it basically runs on its own..could this work for you?

If they pass a course, they can move on to the next course in the learning plan if it is set as a pre-requisite, so how would creating a group based on a pass status help that? This is available as an element of the learning plan itself, but I do not believe helps my problem, unless I don’t understand.

I want them to Pass/Fail the course based on the either cumulative or average sum of the two scorm scores. I don’t think I can set up any parameters based on the scores, which is what I would need. If learner has < 30 pass, if learner has >30 fail. Without that element, I’m not sure what else I could get to work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

if you only need to sum up the scores you can add both your SCORM objects in a single course but that does not generate an overall pass/fail for the course. Only objects can generate a score and the course inherits that based on the settings (score of last object, sum of scores, average of sores, etc.).

Ok, let me know if you all think this will work and then I’ll test it.

I set an “initial score calculation” based on SCORM #1 percentage.

I set “final score calculation” based on “The score is generated by a training material” on the SCORM #2 percentage.

Would that work to make the course pass/fail based on both scores?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

hard to say...are you able to test it all out? That’s always the best way to confirm your settings and expectations are met. Are these in 2 separate courses? I think a LP only looks to see if a course is complete or not to update the overall progress; there are no scores on LP’s, just on courses.

doesn’t work because if they don’t pass the initial SCORM the course continues to say “In Progress” even if it is not marked as an end object marker.