Best Answer

Learning Plans no longer in use

Does anyone have any tips on what to do with Learning Plans no longer in use? I don’t want them to show on our users’ menus, but we want to keep the historical data that we have pulling into our BI tool. 

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 3 October 2023, 21:44

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Since there is no notion of ‘deactivating” or ‘archiving’ Leaning Plans your only option would be to delete them which is probably not something you want to do not to mention the amount of work to do and the impact to your learning records would be tremendous.

I think LP archiving is supposed to be coming at some point but not sure when. This might be your best bet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

What we did is add “retired” to the end of the title and then added them to unpublished/under maintenance so we haven’t lost any reporting history.  This route works for us.  We then normally filter on published so they are not visible to a super admin.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@monica.cheek That works for courses but not learning plans. 

@livknight Renaming to include “Retired” is a good idea. Also, be sure to take them out of catalogs and enrollment rules. If the courses are also retired, you can do as @monica.cheek suggested. At this point your learning plan will appear locked to anyone who has visibility to it. 

I went as far as unenrolling users who were “not started”. In my case, I only needed history for those who had were inprogress and completed some courses. I never unenroll users from courses they have completed, it messes with historical completions. 

@lrnlab that’s good to know about LP archiving is hoping coming soon! That would be a huge help.  @monica.cheek @dianex.gomez thank you both, I was planning on doing a combination of the two, marking them as “retired” and unenrolling people who have not started it. Thank you all!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

I vote to burn the old ones.

LPs depending on your practice could have more or less value.

A simple example: They have more value when they deliver a curriculum that you want to track the completion on. They have less value over time if they were used to deliver a curriculum for a one off delivery (typically used in large campaigns like annual compliance training).

All depends on how ya shake and bake.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@livknight on our system, we have deactivated the public catalog - meaning that any content to be visible to users, must be assigned to a catalog that they have access to. 

Also on most pages, we only display content from specific catalogs (e.g. product XYZ learning). 

Removing Learning Plans from all visible catalogs is effectively making them invisible for new enrollments, and the history is preserved.

I think that those who were enrolled in the past will still see them on their ‘My Learning’ page. 

On the other hand, I agree with @dklinger in most cases deleting LPs shouldn’t do too much harm.

Learning Plans are basically a tool to enroll a user in multiple courses at once and help them organize the order of learning, but actual progress is tracked on a course level. 

Even if you delete a learning plan, you will still have the history that the user already completed courses 1,2, and 3, is in progress of course 4, and didn’t start 5 and 6. 

If you need to keep a record of completing a learning plan for compliance purposes, I’d suggest creating a certificate in the Certification and Retraining tool and using this to store successful completion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@lrnlab that’s good to know about LP archiving is hoping coming soon! That would be a huge help.  @monica.cheek @dianex.gomez thank you both, I was planning on doing a combination of the two, marking them as “retired” and unenrolling people who have not started it. Thank you all!

just remember that this will also show on the users transcript and certificates, etc. We prefer to use something more subtle like a letter or symbol so it’s a little more innocuous for the user. Retired sometimes makes it seem like it’s irrelevant when that is not always the case. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@livknight on our system, we have deactivated the public catalog - meaning that any content to be visible to users, must be assigned to a catalog that they have access to. 

Also on most pages, we only display content from specific catalogs (e.g. product XYZ learning). 

Removing Learning Plans from all visible catalogs is effectively making them invisible for new enrollments, and the history is preserved.

I think that those who were enrolled in the past will still see them on their ‘My Learning’ page. 

@alekwo - would love to see that in action. Everyone is identified and cohorted….that sounds really cool.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@alekwo - would love to see that in action. Everyone is identified and cohorted….that sounds really cool.

Indeed, every user has a relationship with our company defined, however, we didn’t find a way to make it solely within Docebo.

We use the API and Workato - we have one flow that is (de)provisioning employee accounts based on data from HR, and another script that is running periodically - it uses external data (e.g. lists of partners and contractors) to allocate all users to the right groups (contractors, partners, customers).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Gotcha - cohorting outside of Docebo to achieve what you need. By flattening the problem you let Docebo shine in simpler groupings, permissions, and delivery.