Question

Looking to add a database, any ideas?

• 8 March 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

So we want to add a database of Power Point presentations. 

I looked at doing a channel, but we want to be able to filter the resources by topic, we only need these filters for the one channel and also I couldn’t find out how or if it was possible to change the filters for channels.

We could do it as a catalogue but again I only need the filters for one catalogue and I don’t want to make it harder to search in the other catalogues. 

I could embed something in the page but I’m not sure what we could embed to make it work. 

Any ideas gratefully recieved

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Lucy.blake have you tried using tags on the channel assets to see if that generates proper search results...or if you decide to go the catalogue route, you can create additional feilds on your courses to allow users to search for these. When you add additional fields on courses, you can decide whether to make them visible/searchable by users. If you make them available to users they become filters on your catalogue. Hope this makes sense.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Thanks @lrnlab I can add the additional fields but that means that they appear on all the catalogues as search options don’t they? 

I’ll try the tags I hadn’t thought of that, great idea

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

no necessarily...you can configure them to be searchable or not; if you do however they will appear on all your catalogues.