Manage different power user course resources for different permissions

• 9 November 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

We have a use case where we want the same Power User to have different course resources for enrollments vs. reporting.

For example: 

In Q4 they need to be able to enroll users in courses 1, 2, and 3 as well as report on courses 1, 2, and 3.  

In Q1 they should no longer be able to enroll users in the past courses 1, 2, 3, but now instead new courses A, B, and C.  For reporting however, they need to be able to report on both past and new courses 1, 2, 3, A, B, and C.  

It looks like you can only assign one set of resources per power user.  It would be cool if you could assign resources based on the user and profile.  

For example:

Power User Dave - Enrollment Profile - Course Resources = 1, 2, 3

Power User Dave - Reporting Profile - Course Resources = 1, 2, 3, A, B, C

Question:

How do you manage different resources for the same Power User for different permissions?

OR

Is there a course configuration or setting that allows you to continue reporting on a course, but can no longer enroll users into it?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @dave.cerrone, and thank you for your feedback! I think this would make a great idea post, and I highly encourage you to submit it to our Ideas Portal.

As for your questions, I can confirm that there is not a built-in function for assigning different permissions to different resources for Power Users. It sounds like you need a workaround for reporting.

To make sure I understand your use case, would you mind clarifying the type of reporting access your Power Users need? Do these Power Users need to be able to assemble the reports themselves, or do they just need to be able to retrieve a report?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Can you educate your users not to use 123?

I’m pretty sure you can’t do what you want. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Actually I think you can do what you want with groups but it will get messy fast. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

@elliott.vickrey they only have access to the “Quick Summary Reports & Dashboards” tab.  No custom reports.  They can essentially report on their branch and their course resources (using a Learning Plan” to manage).  

@lrodman we could educate yes, but would prefer to make as simple as possible.  It’s also related to seat usage and billing so would like to keep it a neat as possible.  I’m curious of your usage of groups.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yeah, I take it back, I don’t think groups is a solution here. I don’t think there is a solution really.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

What we really need is a way to assign not only a resource but the action that can be taken on that resource. Permissions need to be expanded to add this extra layer so that we can control what a PU can and cannot do. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That would certainly be very helpful.

For me, editing pages is the big one. We’re currently starting on writing an end-around API to let power users do some basic page edits without being superadmins.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

VOTE

Userlevel 2
Badge

As a potential work around, are there any course settings that prevent enrollment to the course?  I’ve tried setting a hard deadline with validity end date expiring the course as well as unpublished the course.  They prevent the learner from accessing it, they’re reportable, but I can still enroll users in it.