Managing scores for multiple choice questions

• 14 January 2022
  • 9 replies

Badge

When creating a multiple choice question in a test, how do you prefer to assign a score for each answer option? 

Typically, we believe the learner should select all the correct answer(s) to earn a total score of 1 point for that question. So we’d use the option “Same score for each question (total score divided by displayed number of questions)” in the Score Management section of the test. For example, we have a test of 10 questions with a combination of single and multiple questions, but each one is worth 1 point. 

However, this option becomes disabled if we wish to choose questions from the Question Bank. We’re forced to manually input a score for each answer option of question which can throw off the total score for that question. For example, if we have a multiple choice with 3 correct answers out of 4 answer options, then we have to calculate each correct answer with a score of 0.3333 for a total of 0.999. We can never get that whole number. 

Has anyone here faced this challenge and found a workaround? 

Thanks in advance for your input!

9 replies

Userlevel 2

I’m not entirely sure if this will solve your issue when pulling a question from the question bank, but we’ve activated this in our Advanced Settings “If this option is enabled, a multiple choice test question that’s only partially correct will be marked as incorrect (for example, if the user flags only two out of three correct answers)
The user must get all answers correct to earn the question score
You just have to remember that this is a global setting

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@jli we have the option mentioned by @mibister enabled, and we don’t distribute the points equally among all correct answers - so using your example, if we have a multiple choice with 3 correct answers out of 4 answer options, we assign 0.3, 0.3 and 0.4 points to the correct answers (or any other numbers that add up to 1). So if the user will mark everything correct they will get 1 point, but if they will make a mistake, there will be 0 points assigned (per the option above).

Badge

@mibister This is exactly what I’m looking for. I can’t imagine I’ll ever need this on an individual test basis Thanks, you solved my problem. 

@alekwo With the option mentioned above, providing unequal points to questions makes sense. Previously, learners would question how points were distributed. Thanks for the tip! 

Userlevel 1

I’m not entirely sure if this will solve your issue when pulling a question from the question bank, but we’ve activated this in our Advanced Settings “If this option is enabled, a multiple choice test question that’s only partially correct will be marked as incorrect (for example, if the user flags only two out of three correct answers)
The user must get all answers correct to earn the question score
You just have to remember that this is a global setting

Thanks a lot. I am a new user of Docebo and really want to find where this setting put. Would you mind to show me the screen cast here? 

Thousands thanks!

Will 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@wlui

To open Advanced Settings, use the cogwheel icon in the top-right corner of the screen.

It’s the third option from the top, on the e-learning tab.

Userlevel 1

@wlui

To open Advanced Settings, use the cogwheel icon in the top-right corner of the screen.

It’s the third option from the top, on the e-learning tab.

Thanks! I found it finally! 

Userlevel 1

Hi guys, is there any way to do question type “Association” like this? Today, I found that I set 4 matchings in my association type questions and full mark is 10. If I answered only 1 correct matching, the system will give me 2.5 points instead of 0 points. 

Any advice to me? 

Will 

Userlevel 3

Hi guys, is there any way to do question type “Association” like this? Today, I found that I set 4 matchings in my association type questions and full mark is 10. If I answered only 1 correct matching, the system will give me 2.5 points instead of 0 points. 

Any advice to me? 

Will 

That looks like the loophole here… that advanced setting applies only to multiple choice (ie multiple response Qs), but at least Association (ie matching) is another Q type that, by definition, all answers would be correct when properly matched. So these Qs will credit partial points.

I don’t get the wonky logic for uneven partial points for correct answers though mentioned above… 🤷🏻

Hey Docebo, we could use a feature request/idea to add that too for Association (or any Q with more than one correct)...

Hi all, I have followed the thread above and I have the problem that if the learner selects all the answers available, both right and wrong, it still marks the score with full marks. 

I don’t want to go down the route of negative marking to even out the score on the question so thought I would ask here first if anyone has a solution.

Any ideas?

Thanks