Media Upload - 800MB and FTP plus errors when laptop sleeps during upload

Userlevel 1

I have a stack of videos to upload to a course; repeated failures prompted the following:

• Why the 800MB limit? In a 4K source file world that is very small.
  • Any FTP bulk upload site? Rather than one by one.
  • Upload fails when laptop sleeps during upload. Not a problem for Box et al.
  • What notifications does a user get if new or revised media is uploaded to an existing course?
  • What are the supported streaming sites. I see YTube and Vimeo, but what is the other logo?

Thanks

Phil

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @FitzySol 

I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

• I think the 800 MB limit on videos was established before 4K videos became popular on the web. Personally, I think it’s a fairly reasonable limit since it’s usually best to keep videos under 10 to 15 minutes wherever possible to maintain the learner’s attention. If your file size is over 800 MB, then I would consider reducing the resolution to standard HD or splitting the video into more manageable chunks. Really high-resolution videos are probably compressed by the Docebo conversion process anyway.
  • I don’t know of a way to bulk upload videos to Docebo, but agree it would be a nice ability to have. If you would like to see this functionality in the future, you can always submit it as an idea in the community.
  • Users aren’t automatically notified if new or revised media is uploaded to an existing course. If you wish to notify them, you will need to do this manually. One option is to go into the enrollments and send an email to everyone enrolled in the course. The following post may be helpful regarding the best way to handle changes to courses.

Sorry, but I don’t know the answers to the other two questions you raised. Hopefully, some of the more experienced members of the community will be able to help you out with those!

Userlevel 1

Hi @FitzySol 

I will try to answer your questions as best I can.

• I think the 800 MB limit on videos was established before 4K videos became popular on the web. Personally, I think it’s a fairly reasonable limit since it’s usually best to keep videos under 10 to 15 minutes wherever possible to maintain the learner’s attention. If your file size is over 800 MB, then I would consider reducing the resolution to standard HD or splitting the video into more manageable chunks. Really high-resolution videos are probably compressed by the Docebo conversion process anyway.
  • I don’t know of a way to bulk upload videos to Docebo, but agree it would be a nice ability to have. If you would like to see this functionality in the future, you can always submit it as an idea in the community.
  • Users aren’t automatically notified if new or revised media is uploaded to an existing course. If you wish to notify them, you will need to do this manually. One option is to go into the enrollments and send an email to everyone enrolled in the course. The following post may be helpful regarding the best way to handle changes to courses.

Sorry, but I don’t know the answers to the other two questions you raised. Hopefully, some of the more experienced members of the community will be able to help you out with those!

Thanks for your replies Daniel.

I think the size is rather small; a 4K source file will blow through that cap well before a neat edit point arrives. Down-coverting works, whilst stripping sharpness from the footage — and we have some detailed screen work to convey. It would not be such an issue if split videos ‘tripped’ from one to another without requiring a user click, but I don’t think I can trigger that action.

I’ll have a crack at Vimeo streaming to test my workflow. I wonder if it is a direct pass-thru’ from Vimeo or YT or if it is squeezed via Docebo’s own hosting? Are they are any official technical documents regarding the media/stream management offered @Docebo?

Best,

Phil

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

I think part of the 800mb restriction is also trying to manage the timeouts of those kinds of uploads. The upload here is a fairly basic stream upload, so any loss of the connection will kill it. 

It is too bad admins can’t be given access to certain directories of the aws bucket that all the uploads live within to be able to direct upload and then access them from there, might need to post an idea about that actually, would be useful.

Something else to think about re: videos specifically, if you are going through the effort of a 4K setup, you really might want to leverage a dedicated video platform for your users. All the majors will generate multiple versions of the file and be able to auto adjust the stream to the highest quality the playback device can handle or allow the user to adjust, which is important for bandwidth requirements and considerations for user experience, rather than forcing a 4k file on all scenarios. 

You can use essentially any video platform you want if they support an embed option, like an iframe, just insert it using the HTML tools.

Userlevel 2

Hi @FitzySol 

I feel your pain. I put some videos into Docebo for the first time today and I am not impressed with the  performance. My videos are short so for now at least I’m OK with the limit. I suspect I will gradually move toward that limit over time however. The fact that users aren’t automatically notified if new or revised media is uploaded to an existing course is a major hit for me. I created a mock up with 2 videos, after I completed the first one, reports marked me at 50% and in progress. When I completed the second one it marked 100% and complete… a good thing. But now I added a third video to the group...simulating adding additional content. When I checked the course report report it still showed me at 100%  complete but 66% progress on the individual user line, even though the individual video records clearly showed I had only viewed 2 of the 3. In addition, from the learners perspective it continued to show completed so as a learner I would never know new material was added unless I opened the course and saw the incomplete object. The individual user report showed me at 66% and appeared to be correct. I did not try to overwrite a video with another version, but I did notice in all instances that the version line was empty.  Another problem is that the record provides a course score on the overall course dashboard  for each learner and it does not on the individual learner dashboard. (when you click a learners name to open their individual record.) These mare NOT SCORM objects… why is there a score of  0 sitting there?? These things are probably small to Docebo but they are a big deal to me, primarily because they make my job of administrating the courses/videos much harder. In there defense they do have a little eyeball icon that lands on the course records page to make identifying people who registered a completion before a new object was added a bit easier, but it would be nice if they carried that info a bit further and pushed something out to the user. They need to set the default playback to the highest quality and not “automatic”. The videos I used in this test were done at 1080. I had to select that manually during playback. To be honest, I don’t think I saw 4K on it, so maybe the best they do is 1080?? Not sure.

My overall assessment is that Docebo has some homework to do!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi @FitzySol 

I couldn’t find any official technical documents regarding the media/stream management offered by Docebo, only the information in the following system requirements, which isn’t all that detailed.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360021001819-System-Requirements

I did, however, figure out the other streaming site. It is Wistia, the platform linked below.

https://wistia.com/

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

As for the original question, the other icon is Wistia. You can bring videos into Docebo via YouTube, Vimeo, or Wistia. I have quite a few customers who use Vimeo to avoid the 800MB file size limit on Docebo but I do agree with some of the previous advice that compressing videos is good to help with playback anyway and generally on devices most users access training from, you’re really not going to get the 4K quality anyway. Just my opinion.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1

I think part of the 800mb restriction is also trying to manage the timeouts of those kinds of uploads. The upload here is a fairly basic stream upload, so any loss of the connection will kill it. 

It is too bad admins can’t be given access to certain directories of the aws bucket that all the uploads live within to be able to direct upload and then access them from there, might need to post an idea about that actually, would be useful.

Something else to think about re: videos specifically, if you are going through the effort of a 4K setup, you really might want to leverage a dedicated video platform for your users. All the majors will generate multiple versions of the file and be able to auto adjust the stream to the highest quality the playback device can handle or allow the user to adjust, which is important for bandwidth requirements and considerations for user experience, rather than forcing a 4k file on all scenarios. 

You can use essentially any video platform you want if they support an embed option, like an iframe, just insert it using the HTML tools.

Opting for a streaming platform is a good call. We use Frame.io for reviews, and I’m a touch spoiled by the smooth addition to my Adobe production workflow. Got me thinking about potential iframe trade-offs; easier yes, but as secure (exposed URL no?) and a another source of metrics to collate?

The direct AWS management idea has legs. Consider this vote #1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Opting for a streaming platform is a good call. We use Frame.io for reviews, and I’m a touch spoiled by the smooth addition to my Adobe production workflow. Got me thinking about potential iframe trade-offs; easier yes, but as secure (exposed URL no?) and a another source of metrics to collate?

The direct AWS management idea has legs. Consider this vote #1.

If you are using an SSO and your video platform also uses it, you can still iframe embed without the security concern, I get not all users, but not always an issue. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Only thing I personally don’t like about an iframe of another video service is if you’re using the HTML training material - which I assume you are, it goes complete the second that material is launched since Docebo doesn’t know what’s going on within the iframe. Are you deploying some other solution to hold the material from going complete - I’m not aware of that being an option so curious how you’ve gotten around that or do you not care about it going complete right away?

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Only thing I personally don’t like about an iframe of another video service is if you’re using the HTML training material - which I assume you are, it goes complete the second that material is launched since Docebo doesn’t know what’s going on within the iframe. Are you deploying some other solution to hold the material from going complete - I’m not aware of that being an option so curious how you’ve gotten around that or do you not care about it going complete right away?

Straight iframe for informational content in html widgets and such on pages, if going into a course, easier enough to make a simple scorm wrapper and include the video and manage the video controls if you are worried about such things and then use that. The reality is, unless you’re using a platform that allows the video to communicate based on playing time….all videos are essentially complete once you start playing (even if you force the user to play all the way through, that’s just security theater).

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

haha Valid point. I’ve never been a fan of “forced watching” anyway but was just curious how you do those things. Thanks for the info!

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

haha Valid point. I’ve never been a fan of “forced watching” anyway but was just curious how you do those things. Thanks for the info!

Especially in the day of rise courses and similar, it is easy enough to make like a ‘video course template’ drop your frame in and go. Also helps with the ‘We added/updated more videos” problem too.