Minimizing course self-enrollment clicks from course catalogs

• 18 January 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Everyone, We’re always looking for ways to simplify and best streamline both our processes to manage our programs as well as the user experience for our learners. 

A tough balance we’ve been struggling with is auto-enrollments vs. self-enrollments. 

This is particularly the case for courses included in our course catalogs which users can browse and search to find the content they’re looking for.

Self-enrollment Issue

From a course catalog it takes four clicks to enroll yourself in a course and start learning. This IMHO is to many! I saw under Advanced settings / E-Learning an option to “Show course after enrollment”. Per Knowledge Base articleEnable this setting to force the user, after a self-enrollment, to navigate directly to the course player. This setting applies to theme 6.9 only. Theme 6.9 only 😫!

Step 1: Click course tile

Step 2: Click Enroll

Step 3: Click Start

Step 4: Click Start

As a workaround/solution we auto-enroll our learners in ALL courses. This provides a better user experience for the learner (reduces process to two clicks!), BUT it adds complexity to our management of the program.

Auto-enrollment Issue

Adds steps and complexity to our continuous course shipping process and a whole lot of unnecessary data in reporting:

• Need to manage groups for enrollment rules (single rule for each language)
  • Need to manage enrollment rules (single rule for each language)
  • Instead of reports resulting in self-enrolled training allowing us to easily analyze what topics users are searching for most we have 100K+ subscribed records. Sure we can filter out subscribed records, but all that subscribed data is unnecessary.
  • My Courses and Learning Plans page is useless as it’s filled with our entire catalog instead of the courses the user enrolled themself in and is interested in referencing.

Reducing the number of clicks required to self-enroll from a course catalog and start a course would be greatly welcomed!

Questions

1. Am I missing a self-enrollment option or setting or is this currently how it works?
  2. Any chance the upcoming Course & Learning Plan Player enhancements include an option to streamline the self-enrollment process?
  3. Would this be a good IDEAS topic for a future enhancement?

Thanks! Dave

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

have you thought about using a combination of Enrolment Links + Course autoplay. We use this and have created a button (with the enrolment link behind it) that, once clicked, takes the user immediately into the course...basically one click.

https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020082620-Configuring-the-Course-Player

Userlevel 2
Badge

@lrnlab we do this for “featured” courses and learning plans on our landing page and it works great! It’s in our course catalogs that break our library down into different categories/topics for users to browse thru that we’re struggling with. We’d love for self-enrollment for courses within catalogs to work similarly. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Actually I may have misread you response. I’ll take a deeper dive and see if that helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Oh I see, the autoplay can still work to reduce clicks but they will still need to go through the enrolment process and see that extra window (Start Course, etc. - we all dont like it...LOL)