Best Answer

My Courses & Learning Plans Default Sorting

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello all, 

I am an Instructional Designer at a software company and we have recently started using Docebo as our LMS. We have created 14 courses that are meant to be taken in a specific order to effectively learn how to use our software platform.

My issue lies with the built-in "my_courses" page in Docebo. On this page, I would like for the courses to be displayed in the suggested order for all users, but currently, they only appear in the correct order if the user sorts by "Code A-Z." The default sorting for the page is "Newest to Oldest (Enrollment)" which doesn't align with the desired course sequence.

I am seeking a solution to either:

1. Delete the "my_courses" page and create a new custom one, on which I can auto sorts by course code. 
  2. Change the default sorting on the existing page to "Code A-Z" (or remove the option to sort by any other method).
  3. Find a way to control the order in which users enroll in the courses, as I currently only have enrollment rules set up and cannot manipulate the order.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation and found a solution? Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

icon

Best answer by Annarose.Peterson 7 February 2023, 22:56

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 1

We had the same issue... In the Manage Pages section, you can change the “Default sort by” to Code A-Z within the Learning Plan & Course widget. We also turned off the “Show sort by” toggle so our users are unable to change the sorting method. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

@amanda.wellons

Thank you so much for your response. Unfortunately, I do not see the option to do this. Just to clarify, the page I am talking about is the built-in “my_courses” page. I do not see the option to change or remove this page as it is one of the built-in pages (not a custom page). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@meaganp You’ll probably be better off building a custom page for your courses than to rely on the built-in “My Courses and Learning Plans Page” The built-in page, I’ve found, works best to simply display everything that is available to a learner due to their enrollments, not the sum total of all courses available in the platform.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

agree you can build a custom page to get better options..if you want to update at the global level, you can do that under Advanced Settings however this only applies to the general catalogue.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@KMallette @lrnlab 

Thank you for your replies. I agree that this problem can be solved by creating a custom page to display courses. The problem with this solution is that I do not have the option to remove the built-in “my_courses” page, so that page will still show up in breadcrumbs for users, as in the picture below.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

yup, sadly we have no way to edit those pages...did you try the setting under Advanced settings to see ion that helps? If it’s all going to default pages, perhaps that would solve the My courses default issue?

Otherwise I would sights you add a new IDEA

Userlevel 1
Badge

@lrnlab I tried to the advanced settings and it did not work. I will add the new idea. Thanks so much for your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@meaganp Agreed, built-in pages are a pain. So use that to your advantage. Create a custom “Home” page to show the catalog/list of courses. Add the built-in page to the menu, but at the bottom of the list of pages. While the built-in page still appears in the breadcrumbs from time to time, the learner will more likely want to go “Home” and then arrive back at the beginning.

The other thing you might want to consider is putting all of the courses into a learning plan. When they enroll in the learning plan, they are also enrolled in the all of the courses. A learning plan ALSO gives you more control over the order of presentation in the case where A-Z, Newest/Oldest doesn’t fit your needs.  The ADDITIONAL benefit of a learning plan is that when a learner happens to click on the built-in page, they see the learning plan, and is therefore only one click away from getting back to “the next” course.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@meaganp , you can remove that “My Courses” from the breadcrumbs with CSS.  This is what we are using to hide that:

/* Hides My Courses and Learning Plans link in the breadcrumb bar */
/* Hides the actual link */
.hierarchical-breadcrumbs a[href="/learn/mycourses"]{
display: none!important;
}
/* Hides the arrow after the link */
.hierarchical-breadcrumbs a[href="/learn/mycourses"] + .ui-icon{
display: none!important;
}

So our users see this:

Userlevel 1
Badge

@Annarose.Peterson Wow, thank you so much. Where did you insert this CSS code?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@Annarose.Peterson Wow, thank you so much. Where did you insert this CSS code?

Admin Menu > Configure Branding and Look > Custom Styles

There is a field where you can enter your CSS to configure the appearance of your platform. :-)

Here is the knowledge article that talks a little more about this: https://help.docebo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020125479-Configuring-the-Branding-Look-Feel-of-your-Platform#subtitle-6

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thanks @Annarose.Peterson, that worked for me!

@Annarose.Peterson @meaganp I am trying to solve this same issue. I tried to copy your CSS and I could not get it to work. Is this how it is supposed to look?