Question

Power user ability to enroll user into courses

• 29 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

We provide client training, and our clients often have one administrator that is granted a power user. This users has visibility to their client branch and their users to follow up. I have also given them visibility to all premium catalog, so they can see an overview of all courses, how many have enrolled, progress and ability to enroll their users into courses they see fit. 

However I am struggling with the power users permissions. Issue: if I set priveliges to all courses within visible cataloges

• They also see courses that is visible, but behind a payment plan and only administrator can enroll users into. However, the power users can easily enroll users intro these courses as they are visible to all in the system. A bit of a marketing thingy. 
  • They also see courses that are under maintenance. Because they are not fully developed, or deprecated. This is also very unwanted behaviour. 

The only way I can get where I want, is if I manually select each and every course they should have access to. Which is now 70+. and by this year 100+. 

drawbacks:

• Timely process
  • Must add every new course to all power user pofiles (could become many going forward)
  • A lot of room for manual error

I have tried to assign power users to catalogues, but this does nothing in my solution. I can also assign them to categories, that is more close to what I want, but then I must move the payed courses into a category of their own, but they still have access to content that is under maintenance. which is just sad, I don’t want them adding users into courses that is deprecated or not fully developed. 

How do you solve this? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Can you make a catalog for each group and then assign that as the resource to the user? Then as you add courses to the catalogs they gain the rights?

Userlevel 1

no, that won’t work, as I have to select all visible catalogs, or each course. 

I have tried to assign specific catalogs, but that does not grant any rights to the courses. I really don’t know what that function is, as it does nothing in my portal actually. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

no, that won’t work, as I have to select all visible catalogs, or each course. 

I have tried to assign specific catalogs, but that does not grant any rights to the courses. I really don’t know what that function is, as it does nothing in my portal actually. 

Sounds like something is off there, when you go to assign resources there is the separate assign catalogs area not the courses/learning plans/etc. which lets you select individual ones. Does a learning plan potentially solve your issue though? Same idea, your making a group of courses and assigning that so you can just update the grouping.

Userlevel 1

I suspect something is off myself. The assign catalogs option is what I believe should solve most of my issues here. But nothing happens when I do this. I have added a support ticket on this, but it’s been quiet for more than a week now.

Does anyone else do this? is it working? I am kinda in a rush to get this fixed, as power users can now enroll users into all the courses that are subject to extra payment, but they will not be billed, as it does not go through the superadmins. 

Userlevel 1

Learning plan will not solve this unfortunately. We have about 70-100 courses, and they should not be seen as one. They have individual learning plans where apropriate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Learning plan will not solve this unfortunately. We have about 70-100 courses, and they should not be seen as one. They have individual learning plans where apropriate. 

Right, the idea here was just as a workaround, make a learning plan not for the purpose of enrolling people but purely for managing so it would be a learning plan no one would really be enrolled in, just to use for management so that you don’t have to add all the PU to a new course, just add it to that learning plan too, it’s the same idea as catalogs just since that doesn’t seem to be working for you another way to it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @margretek 

I think what you describe is just what Docebo does for PU access to courses and specifically with permissions to enrol users. While in circumstances where the course are free, the ability for them enrol users via the back-end is no big deal, it breaks down with course for sale since Docebo makes no distinction between these. Contrary to what we would believe about how courses that are for sale should behave, the eCommerce app is not fully integrated with Learning unfortunately…

I believe there are some fundamental gaps in how role permissions are granted and many are just too broad. Case in point is when you grant the admin access to enrol users into courses, there is no distinction between an active course, a course under maintenance, a course that’s for sale, and so on; so  the admin can enrol users via the back end without paying.