Question

Power Users and Course Notifications

• 10 November 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

I am working on creating “standard” notifications that power users can assign to their courses in Docebo. We do not turn on notifications for All Courses and Learning plans because there are courses where we may not want to use the default notifications. 

I recently ran into a snag with PU access. I learned that for the PU to be able to attach a course to a notification, they must have access to All Courses and Learning Plans AND All Users.This restricts me from being able to give PUs access to only the courses they SHOULD have access to. 

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you work around it? 

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Jessica Overby I haven’t run into this with our PU’s. We use sub-domains as well but when we configure PU access we grant it with the option of, “All courses and LP in visible catalogues” and add only those catalogues they should have access to. For users, we grant Branch access but you can also selectively add individual users. when the PU’s create notifications, they can access the courses & users the are responsible for. Are these your settings?

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

HI @Jessica Overby I haven’t run into this with our PU’s. We use sub-domains as well but when we configure PU access we grant it with the option of, “All courses and LP in visible catalogues” and add only those catalogues they should have access to. For users, we grant Branch access but you can also selectively add individual users. when the PU’s create notifications, they can access the courses & users the are responsible for. Are these your settings?

Thank you for the response! The issue I have with the “All courses and LP in visible catalogues” setting is that they cannot run full completion history reports for courses that are not in their visible catalogues. Additionally, our catalogues are kind of a mess. Even with those settings, they still would not be able to use our standard notifications because they are set for All branches and you attach the individual courses from there.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

HI @Jessica Overby I haven’t run into this with our PU’s. We use sub-domains as well but when we configure PU access we grant it with the option of, “All courses and LP in visible catalogues” and add only those catalogues they should have access to. For users, we grant Branch access but you can also selectively add individual users. when the PU’s create notifications, they can access the courses & users the are responsible for. Are these your settings?

Do your power users just create a new notification for every course they create? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Jessica Overby no, they can add any courses or LP’s they have access to via catalogues. If you need to add courses & LP’s that are across different  but managed by the same PU, you can use the “Custom permissions” option under “Courses”. You will need to select each one though (and probably manage that access from time to time).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Hi @Jessica Overby 

Have you been able to solve this? We are now running into the same issue. I need PU to be able to access notification templates, and they do not have visibility to all courses. (we also do not apply all notifications to all courses as we run alot of custom programs)

Catalogs are also not quite defined either, I just want to simply make a bunch of templates available for all my PUs to use without them having to create from scratch. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi @Jessica Overby 

Have you been able to solve this? We are now running into the same issue. I need PU to be able to access notification templates, and they do not have visibility to all courses. (we also do not apply all notifications to all courses as we run alot of custom programs)

Catalogs are also not quite defined either, I just want to simply make a bunch of templates available for all my PUs to use without them having to create from scratch. 

Sort of. Basically, the notification has to be assigned to at least ONE course within that particular category for the PU to be able to see the notification. 

Therefore, you either assign a course to it before giving them admin access. Or, you can create a dummy course that you assign to their category. 

Unfortunately, you still have to give them edit access to be able to assign the course to the notification, which is obviously not ideal. 

Final option is to create standard notifications for each category, but that feels like too much work and I’m lazy. Hope this helps!