Question

Problems with Certifications and Retraining

• 11 August 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4

I’m using the Certs & Retraining app to handle our Safety Training Program. Users take an elearning course and receive the associated certification. Each cert has a renewal period of 1 or 2 years. When it’s time to renew, users can take a qualifying elearning course (which is already linked to the cert).

It worked as intended during testing. We’ve now launched it and have about 18 courses on the system associated with certs. The problem is that some folks are issued the cert and others aren’t. In trying to troubleshoot the issue, I’ve analyzed the reports and there’s no rhyme or reason to it. There are no themes related to date, specific course, or user that I can see.

Has anyone else experienced the issue?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

hard to say but it may depend on when the certs were created. if you see them being awarded going forward, you can always award them manually if your course reports show that users have indeed competed the requirements.It’s a pretty simple app so not much can go wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Hi @keiishida, that certainly sounds confusing! I’m glad you came to our community to find help. 😊 You just launched these certifications, right? Are users earning these certifications for the first time, or have some of them earned them previously?

The reason I ask is that if users don’t click a specific renewal link and take a course associated with the certification, it won’t reissue because the system sees that they’ve already received it. That is why they need to use the “Renew Now” button found in the Certification area of the My Activities page, or the renewal link given in the “Certification has expired” notification via the [renew_link] shortcode. You can read about this on our Knowledge Base: Managing the Certifications and Retraining App

Of course, this may not be the issue! I just know that this trips people up from time to time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Agree, it’s not that intuitive for users to find the RENEW option so the notification of pending renewal with the embedded link the personal summary is an important part of the process. That said, I think you may always have a few users that don't follow the instructions and just try and relaunch the same course(s).

@elliott.vickrey hopefully we’ll see some improvements to this app in the near future…

a “certification & retraining” widget would be super useful - I will post an idea for this.

Userlevel 4

Thanks for your replies. We manually issued some of the certifications because folks had completed in the courses in the past. We assumed that if they completed assigned courses, the associated certs would renew. Based on your responses this doesn’t happen, which in my mind makes absolutely no sense. This is very disappointing.

We’ve got an email notification with link already set up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

only way I know of to renew manually is to manage each record manually where you can change the issue and expiration dates

Userlevel 4

So, just to confirm, there’s no way to update the certs via csv?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

@keiishida yes you can...and there is an option to renew as well...I tried this many years ago and it worked well