Question

Publish SCORM/xAPI to Discover, Coach, and Share Channel

• 23 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3

We make use of Articulate Rise, and I noticed they just released a new Microlearning content type (https://community.articulate.com/articles/rise-360-create-new-microlearning).

After some initial exploration of the Microlearning content type, I immediately thought of how well it aligns with the type of content we author and publish to Discover, Coach, and Share (DCS) channels on our Docebo site.

Similarly, I know Docebo Shape authors its content in a SCORM format and can be published to DCS channels. Knowing that, I wasn’t sure if there was a way to publish SCORM/xAPI content authored with something other than Shape could be published as an asset to a DCS channel?

I’m certainly aware of and familiar with publishing Courses (which can obviously have SCORM/xAPI content within them) to DCS channels, but was hoping to avoid the added weight/technical debt of creating a course for some of the simpler items we author and publish to our site.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

If you didn’t care about tracking completion or scoring, could you just use the share link from Rise and add it as a link to a channel in Docebo? I don’t love the user experience for sharing links to other webpages in Docebo, but it could be a very elementary solution to your problem.

PS. I really don’t think there is a way to add SCORM content to channels without going through the Course Management area.

Userlevel 1

Hello @dgladfelter,

I am Alberto, the product manager of the Docebo Shape module.

As @IanMonk wrote, it’s not possible for now to upload SCORM/xAPI content as an asset in a channel, unfortunately.

DC&S does not embed Shape content as an xAPI package inside DC&S but as an HTML video player.

You could submit a new idea on this portal so that your request can be voted on and considered.

Thank you for your question!

A

Userlevel 3

@IanMonk & @alberto.galimberti 

Thank you both for your replies.

I hadn’t thought of the possibility of using preview links from Rise. Quickly testing that idea, it’s certainly a viable pathway to get people to the Rise content. What I wasn’t wild about was the way, like all links in DC&S, the Rise content opens in a new browser tab.

I could be missing something, but the Rise preview link idea would be perfect for the use cases I have in mind if there was a way to get DC&S to display the link inside an iframe (or something similar to an iframe) within the platform. Somewhat like the way DC&S displays YouTube links as embedded videos within the platform (letting people play the video without leaving the platform).

Nonetheless, I do appreciate each of your replies. For the time being, Courses appear to be the best strategy to provide an in-platform experience for my learners. I’ll certainly create an Idea here in the community.

Thanks again!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve also been looking at the new microlearning from RISE and would love to be able to add it as a SCORM to a channel … creating a course for it is not the ideal solution … I’d also like it if we could put the SCORM in the central repository and then add it to either a Channel OR a course so that using the microlearning in either would record it as completed.

Although the RISE preview will technically work, that would be a lot of traffic being drive to a preview platform that is not intended for learning delivery! 

If you do post it as a request for future development, I will be voting for it!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

This is great. IMHO The microlearning capability is a little “meh” as a release for Rise 360. It is clever to add another level of navigation and to slate it as microlearning all together.That said, I tip my hat to whomever did the lift.

@IanMonk covered an option and a downside of doing what is mentioned - the experience will involve opening new tabs/windows. I do think a person would gain from having an S3 bucket that has an HTML Server (@Bfarkas - keep my straight on the tech I am suggesting kind sir) sitting side by side with their platform for stuff just like this.

Please keep in mind - that by exposing that url? You are now exposing a Rise course that could be edited just in time by an author or collaborator. There are definite gains and downsides to it. In otherwords, on a next refresh? The course can show its edits - all the good and the bad that come with rapid authoring.

I do think with better practices in mind - you can copy a line of “production level material” and leverage Rise and articulate.com servers directly to support a layer (and keep your stuff that is live organized in folders that are exposed to the world). But security can now be a whole new problem for you - you will definitely want to set a password if any intellectual property is in your microlearning course - which by its nature? Maybe enough to turn a learner off (these things should get to people fast).

And if you dont? You can land up with a chain of custody concern. Potentially, anyone with those urls have a method of looking at your material at that level.

We really need that S3 bucket for HTML being an inline experience when we can support HTML formatted material with Docebo. I came from a learning system where we were given direct access to an SFTP site that also was an HTML server.

BTW? Embedding/Iframing that content onto a page will give you another thing to content with, the responsiveness of the content can be an issue for you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

We make use of Articulate Rise, and I noticed they just released a new Microlearning content type (https://community.articulate.com/articles/rise-360-create-new-microlearning).

After some initial exploration of the Microlearning content type, I immediately thought of how well it aligns with the type of content we author and publish to Discover, Coach, and Share (DCS) channels on our Docebo site.

Similarly, I know Docebo Shape authors its content in a SCORM format and can be published to DCS channels. Knowing that, I wasn’t sure if there was a way to publish SCORM/xAPI content authored with something other than Shape could be published as an asset to a DCS channel?

I’m certainly aware of and familiar with publishing Courses (which can obviously have SCORM/xAPI content within them) to DCS channels, but was hoping to avoid the added weight/technical debt of creating a course for some of the simpler items we author and publish to our site.

Just taking a step back, can you do what you are suggesting above, but just make one like master course of all this type of content so you don’t have to make a new shell everytime? Just think of it like a repository course?