Best Answer

Renewing my SSL Certificate for custom domain

• 17 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hello Community. So I have to renew my SSL certificate for my custom domain for the first time. I am not very technical so this process is not entirely clear to me so I came to the experts for help. Do I understand the steps correctly:

1. Download the cert files for the renewed certificate
  2. Under Advanced Settings, under HTTPS, click to Remove Certificate
  3. I then reupload the new cert files

I am assuming the system will be down the minute I remove the certificate. As such I plan to do it off peak hours. 

Does anyone have a more formal procedure for this type of system maintenance?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by lrnlab 18 August 2021, 17:17

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

HI @Cindy McElhinney we encountered a similar scenario but in our case something was missing on the cert which has affected the admin Enrollments page and the Custom Reports tab. We’ll need to upload a new certificate as you just did...there is no real down time to consider. Under normal circumstances, you  just need to diarize the end date of your cert to make it is renewed in time for you to upload the newest version without allowing it to expire first...we usually allow 1-2 weeks for IT to get hat updated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks @lrnlab. I’m having flashbacks to big issues when I first uploaded the cert. We are in the midst of onboarding new staff members for the fall school semester so I can’t afford any downtime. I’m 10 days out from expiration so I’m going to do it this weekend and hope for the best. :grimacing:

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

A good tip I learned after setting up multidomain with SSO last year and running into SSL cert issues - once you apply your certificate you can verify it is working/no issues by using an online SSL checker site such as DigiCert’s. It’s free and dead simple to use.

https://www.digicert.com/help/

Just enter your domain and submit and, hopefully, you’ll get all green check marks : ) If you get a red checkmark that means something in the SSL chain is misconfigured.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Thanks for the tip @mark I’ll definitely try out digicert. That may be the same ssl checker used by sslshopper which I’ve used before. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

We are having an issue where we updated our Production platform with the new certificate and it works great, but our Test platform is not working. Do we use the same certificate for the production platform as the test platform?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

@Swatson Thanks for bringing that up. I hadn’t thought about the impact on our Sandbox. Hoping someone knows the answer to your question and that :fingers_crossed_tone2: we can just upload new cert there as well. If not, we’ll have to get a refresh which I was actually looking to do anyway sometime soon. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

We are having an issue where we updated our Production platform with the new certificate and it works great, but our Test platform is not working. Do we use the same certificate for the production platform as the test platform?

So just an update here. Updating our SSL cert had no affect on our sandbox because we don’t have a custom domain for our test environment. We just use the docebosaas url.