Best Answer

SCORM package progress doesn't save to Docebo when user loses internet connection?

• 27 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

It appears a user’s progress through a SCORM package does not save if they lose their internet connection before closing out of the course. Is this true? 

Our previous LMS did not have this issue, and even if a use lost connection, they’d at most lose a few slides of progress, not the entire course’s progress. 

icon

Best answer by dklinger 27 September 2023, 20:56

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Hi Eric. Lets talk this one through - this can be typical with a SCO based on how progress is being communicated and then saved. If the LMS is not collecting the CMI interactions, well, you are gonna lose the bookmark.

For example, you can make/configure a SCO to only commit only at the very end of the course or with a submit button.

SCOs that lose connection in the middle of a quiz? Puts a bad taste in anyone’s mouth. Because my findings have lead me to believe that the user will effectively need to restart it.

But my finding is that SCOs count on pretty consistent communication to keep bookmarking straight. The “great white hope” in this space is supposed to be xAPI where intermittent communications could be supported. But there is a caveat to it as well (what happens when the LMS session is closed and the xAPI course attempts to write a statement).

Two of the larger rapid authoring softwares allow for you to do a “cookie based” return to where the person left off. I found it to help the story when bookmarking tends to be failing with a SCO.

Good luck with this. Let me know if any of the gibberish helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

We use Storyline 360 here to author the content. When I export it as xAPI, the LMS correctly tracks the user’s position in the course even if they lose connection, so I think that’s our solution.

It’s just a bit aggravating, since our previous, in-house LMS handled SCORM content without issue. We have a lot of modules that will need to be converted to xAPI, which means creating new training material and having users lose their progress.

Userlevel 1
Badge

This is the answer I got from Docebo support, in case anyone else has the question. They confirmed that internet interruptions can erase SCORM progress. In my own testing xAPI did a better job of saving the learner’s progress when the internet dropped. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

@eric.hughes - what blows my mind? Is that SCORM remains the steady to go to and we are talking about standards that did improve but remain THE way that many ID shops publish their content because of learning system half bakes (no offense my Docebo fam, but the xAPI/LRS implementation needs to be just a little better documented and easier to leverage for many to adopt).

Would love to know how your reporting goes down….like reporting at the training material level.

I hope there is some further training about xAPI and leveraging the LRS in Docebo (yes there is an LRS that you can connect to). Another hope is to leverage content that is authored in xAPI and it lives outside of the LMS. Imagine - learning in flow of work becoming a reality.